Thursday, December 6, 2012

Roast Chicken

The original name of this recipe is "Marry Me Roast Chicken". While this recipe is great, I wasn't overly wowed, so I certainly wouldn't have gotten down on one knee for myself, however, this recipe is very simple and very good. I guess you could call it the Good Wife's Roast Chicken, or something homemaker-ish or domestic-ish, because it's a perfect recipe for a weeknight meal for a couple.

Next time, I would definitely opt for a bigger chicken. The recipe calls for a 3-4 lb roaster, but I would go bigger. I like having leftovers and the garlic, lemon and herbs just barely fit inside. I think I'd like to add more to the rub on the outside as well, rather than just the plain old salt and pepper. I'm all about flavor. The chicken did come out juicy, slightly dry at the surface, but good enough for me. Also, the 50 minute cook time...not so much. My chicken cooked for an hour and a half and then I kept it on warm as I prepped my sides and Dan and I brought in the Christmas tree! I served it with jasmine rice and butter and brown sugar carrots.

Roast Chicken
from Family Style Food

3-4 lb roasting chicken ( I recommend bigger)
salt and pepper
1 lemon, punctured about 10 times with a skewer
1 small head of garlic, cut in half
handful of herbs (I used thyme, sage and rosemary)

1. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
2. Sprinkle the cavity with salt and pepper. Fill with the garlic, herbs and lemon.
3. Rub the chicken with salt and pepper.
4. Place in a roasting pan, breast side down. Let the chicken sit at room temperature while you preheat the oven to 425 for at least 20 minutes.
5. Roast for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully flip the chicken over. Set the oven to 350 and roast for 25 more minutes. I ended up keeping mine in at 350 for about an hour, I'm not exactly sure how long, I just kept checking on it. Then I kept it on warm until the sides were done and cut it served it!

An easy side to add are butter and brown sugar carrots. Just boil baby carrots and drain. Mix a few tablespoons of melted butter with a few tablespoons of brown sugar.

Raw chickens are gross.


Roast chicken birthing a lemon


No comments: