Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Sloppy Joes

If I was tech-savvy enough, I would make Adam Sandler's "Lunch Lady Land" play in the background of this post....but I'm not. And if you have no idea why I would play that song, google it.

Yesterday was National Margarita Day. What a wonderful and horrible holiday to have fall on a Tuesday. Good thing I'm on vacation this week, because today was rough. I woke up at 8....yes 8! My hangovers aren't even nice to me anymore, they don't even let me sleep in. I got on the treadmill to help sweat it all out, and it worked. Then I re-organized my closet and went to buy new jeans (because I may or may not have split my jeans in the thigh while re-enacting Atlantic City stripper dance moves).  I also had lunch with my mum today and buffet was definitely not the right choice. I wasn't even all that hungry for dinner and didn't really eat much for lunch. You win this time tequila.

Dinner was pretty good tonight, even if I wasn't all that hungry for it. I have never had a sloppy joe, because the thought of eating meat from a can repulses me. This recipe sounded decent and the picture looked so yummy, so it got added to my list this week.

Sloppy Joes
from here

1 yellow onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
olive oil, for sauteing
1 + 1/4 pounds ground beef or turkey
1 + 1/3 cups ketchup 
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 heaping tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon chile powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2/3 cup water 
sandwich or hamburger rolls for serving

1. In a large skillet saute onion and pepper over medium-low heat until tender. Remove from skillet and brown beef over medium heat. Drain grease.

2. Add sauteed vegetables back in along with ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, spices, salt, pepper and water. Bring to a simmer and cook about 20 minutes or until water is absorbed, stirring often.

3. Serve on toasted rolls.


When I added my water, it was absorbed in about 5 minutes and didn't need to simmer for all that long.


To be served on a paper plate. Let's not pretend these are fancy sandwiches.

No comments: