Monday, February 21, 2011

Spaghetti Squash Casserole

My cousin Jen is easily one of the best people on the planet. Not only because she's my cousin, but because she's totally awesome and keeps me in her thoughts every now and then, like a little while ago when she emailed me a recipe she saw. I have been waiting to make a recipe using spaghetti sauce and keep avoiding, but it was finally time. And this recipe was so easy it was hard to put it off again. I've never had spaghetti squash, but I'm hoping it's super fabulous and that it will take the place of all the pasta I eat...maybe...just maybe.

Spaghetti Squash Casserole
from here

1 3-lb spaghetti squash (I had to use 2 smaller ones)
olive oil
15 oz. ricotta cheese
4 cups baby spinach, chopped
1 large egg
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
salt and pepper
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 400. Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Drizzle olive oil over the cut sides and place cut side down on a rimmed baking pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes until tender.
2. Meanwhile, combine spinach, ricotta, egg, garlic, salt and pepper, and nutmeg in a bowl.
3. Scrape out the insides of the squash and add to spinach mixture. Mix gently and transfer to an 8 inch baking dish.
4. Top with mozzarella cheese and bake until cheese is melted and bubble, about 20 minutes.

Big ol hunk.   

This would be great with some marinara sauce with it, almost like a lasagna, or even just drizzle over the top. Also, next time, I would crush the garlic, as every few bites I get a piece of chopped garlic that's quite strong.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

YAY!! I'll keep on the look out for you :-) I made verde chicken enchiladas last night... they were amazing. MISS YOU!