Monday, October 1, 2012

Butternut Squash and Corn Soup

Fall is easily my favorite season. The temperature is better, the foliage is prettier, and the food is yummier. You can start making things like soups/stews, chili, pot roast, things with pumpkin and apple...

I randomly came home a butternut squash on my counter and my immediately thought:

Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage Lasagna

Butternut Squash Ravioli

Rigatoni with Butternut-Gruyere Sauce

Butternut Squash Lasagna

But we all know I always want to try something new, and I only had a small bit of squash, so I decided to try my hand at soup. This soup didn't come out how I wanted it to. It wasn't bad, but it just wasn't what I wanted it to be (which was something similar to what Trader Joe's sells).

I veered off the recipe a bit, so maybe the original would be a little better? Also, my hand me down immersion blender did not work.

Butternut Squash and Corn Soup
adapted from Ezra Poundcake

2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into cubes (about 5 cups)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 can sweet corn kernels, drained
1.5 tsp curry powder
kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
2 cans chicken broth
1/2 cup milk or heavy cream (I used 2% milk)
pinch of chili powder
pinch of paprika

1. Heat vegetable oil in a large stock pot over med-high heat. Add the squash, onions and garlic. Cook for 6 minutes until onions start to become tender.
2. Add corn and curry. Cook for 2 minutes until the scent of curry becomes fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add broth and simmer for 25 minutes until squash is tender.
4. Blend half of the soup with a food processor, blender or immersion blender.(I blended all of it because I didn't want any chunks of corn or squash in my soup). Return to pot.
5. Add milk or cream and stir until soup is warmed. Do not boil.
6. Serve with chives, greek yogurt, or bacon on top.


No comments: