Monday, January 3, 2011

Butternut Squash Ravioli

Clean Eating has some of the best recipes ever I've decided. Tonight I made butternut squash raviolis, and man were they good. The magazine gives you three different sauce recipes, a tomato-sage sauce, an Asian sauce, and a mushroom sauce. I went with the Asian sauce because I had everything for it. It was a good choice.

Wonton wrappers annoy me to no end. They make my fingers all dough-y and they stick to everything. A quarter of my cooked raviolis clung to each other for dear life, so when I went to plate them they pulled apart and squash was everywhere. But most of them survived. Next time I'll add a little oil to the water.

I never would have thought to pair butternut squash and soy sauce together, but they compliment each other very well. I love butternut squash, but it's rather bland. I'm used to it either sweetened or in my lasagna, so the saltiness from the soy sauce paired perfectly.

I got a new magazine today in the mail called Cuisine at Home with some mumbo jumbo about getting a year's subscription for free..... but of course I continue reading to find out that I get 2 years for the price of one. Thanks but no thanks, I barely have time for the 2 magazines I ever read - Clean Eating and Cosmo. I like to know how to dress fierce in the kitchen.....

Butternut Squash Ravioli with Asian Sauce
from Clean Eating Nov/Dec 2010

Ravioli:
1 lb. butternut squash, peeled and seeded, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
28-30 wonton wrappers

Sauce:
8 tsp. low sodium soy sauce
2 slices of ginger, smashed
4 tsp. thinly sliced green onion
4 tsp. sesame oil

1. Heat squash, garlic and 1 cup of water in a large saucepot over med-high heat. Cover and cook about 18 minutes, until squash is very soft. Drain in a colander and return to pot. Mash squash with a potato masher or fork until smooth.
2. Place pot with squash over medium heat and cook for about 3 minutes stirring constantly, so excess water can evaporate. Set aside to cool.
3. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Assemble ravioli: Place 1 tbsp of squash in center of each wonton wrapper. With wet finger, moisten the outside edges of each wrapper then fold in half diagonally into a triangle and seal the edges. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes in boiling water. Top with sauce.

Sauce:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl.

Did you think there was going to be more directions to the sauce....?

I put my garlic in a garlic press and mixed it with the squash and I ran out of ginger yesterday, but I luckily have some ginger flavored soy sauce in the fridge, so I used that. 

Ready to be wrapped

Folded and sealed

Perfectly cooked (and starting to stick together)

Topped with sauce

No comments: