Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mediterranean Vegetable, White Bean and Feta Penne

It was another snow day for me today. Nothing better than getting that phone call at 5:15 in the morning and going back to bed for a bit. I went grocery shopping last night in preparation for today, but I needed a couple more ingredients that I thought I could grab today, but the roads were pretty bad. I made the recipe I had planned for tomorrow.

My new Clean Eating came in last week and this is the first recipe I'm making from it. I always get excited when I find healthy pasta recipes, because I love pasta, but not the calories or carbs.


Mediterranean Vegetable, White Bean and Feta Penne
from: Clean Eating February 2011

6 oz. whole-grain penne pasta
1 cup cooked or BPA free canned white beans (navy or cannellini), drained and rinsed well
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 medium zucchini, cut into eighths lengthwise, then cut into 2-inch pieces
1 medium green bell pepper, cut into thin strips, then cut into 2-inch pieces
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 cup crumbled reduced fat feta

1. Cook penne according to package directions adding beans during last minute of cooking.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, 2 cloves garlic, vinegar, basil, pepper flakes and salt; set aside.
3. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet on medium-high heat, tilting skillet to coat bottom lightly. Add zucchini and pepper and cook for 4 minutes or until edges begin to brown, stirring frequently. Add remaining 2 cloves garlic and cook for 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in tomato mixture and cover to keep warm.
4. Drain pasta and beans, place in a serving bowl, sprinkle evenly with rosemary and all but 1/4 cup of feta. Spoon zucchini mixture over pasta and finish with remaining feta.

I put the feta on top instead of mixing it in.




No comments: