Sunday, January 2, 2011

Green Tea Poached Salmon

I have to start this post with an apology....I have no pictures. I was moving quickly and semi-forgot about taking some. I also have to say that I'm not a huge fan of cooked salmon. Raw salmon I could eat all day long, but cooked salmon is something I really have to be in the mood for. I was definitely in the mood to make this dish, as I have been eying it since I first saw it, but as good as it was, I just wasn't into the salmon. I do the same thing with yogurt. I have to really want yogurt or else it repulses me.

I have leftover salmon to put in a salad for lunch tomorrow, which is great. I'd prefer salmon cold over hot anyways. Salmon is an enigma in my life.

This recipe was in Clean Eating's May/June 2010 issue and was created by Food Network chef Clair Robinson. I live for Food Network and have never heard of her. Her show is called 5 Ingredient Fix, and it features dishes that need only 5 ingredients and maybe some things that she considers pantry staples. For this recipe she considered sea salt, ground black pepper and whole black peppercorns to be pantry staples....I had to buy whole black peppercorns...and my spice cabinet is overflowing.

Green Tea Poached Salmon with Ginger Lime Sauce
from: Clean Eating May/June 2010

2 limes, halved
4 tbsp raw honey, divided
1 4-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled an chopped (I used my Magic Bullet to chop it)
6 green tea bags
4 6-oz salmon fillets, skin and bones removed
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
Fresh ground black pepper

1. Put 6 cups of water into a straight-sided skillet or pot with a lid. Add 3 limes halves, squeezing juice into the water before adding, 3 tbsp honey, ginger, salt and peppercorns. Bring to a boil over med-high heat. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes to infuse water with flavor. Remove 1/2 cup of poaching liquid and set aside.

2. Remove skillet from heat and add tea, allowing to steep for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove tea and place skillet over heat again at the lowest heat setting before carefully sliding salmon into water. Cover and poach until fish is just cooked through and firm to the touch, 6 to 7 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, in a small pot, simmer reserved 1/2 cup poaching liquid along with juice and zest from remaining lime half and remaining 1 tbsp honey until liquid reduces by two-thirds and thickens, about 7-10 minutes.

4. Remove salmon with a slotted spoon and plate. Drizzle with reduced sauce and season with black pepper.

This definitely makes your kitchen smell fantastic and the reduced sauce is the best part. It's perfectly sweet and tangy. I put a little extra over my leftover piece so it'll be extra tasty tomorrow on my salad.

Also, if you use loose-leaf tea, use 4 tbsp of tea spooned into an infuser ball or a piece of cheesecloth tied with twine.

No comments: