Monday, January 31, 2011

Cooking with Polenta

OK. I finally decided to use the polenta I bought at Trader Joe's. I bought the tube version for convenience and just to try it. I've been told making your own polenta is infinitely better....but I'm doubting. I don't care for polenta. It wasn't bad per-say, but it certainly wasn't good.

I searched for a while to find a recipe that used tube polenta, and I found one that looked really good. I, of course, added some pasta as a side (thank goodness). I ended up tossing the polenta and having a pasta dish for dinner. But tonight I ate a veggie burger....that makes up for it, right???

The original name for this recipe was Smoky Shrimp and Parmesan Polenta Cakes....but the shrimp didn't taste smoky at all, so I am re-naming it. Deal with it.

Shrimp Polenta Pizzas
from here

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound peeled and de-veined medium shrimp
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
1 17-ounce tube polenta, cut into 8 (1/2-inch) slices
Cooking spray
8 teaspoons marinara sauce
8 teaspoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley


1. Preheat broiler.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until done, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in wine, chives, juice, and paprika, tossing to coat. Keep warm.
3. Place polenta slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Top each slice with 1 teaspoon sauce and 1 teaspoon cheese; broil 3 minutes or until cheese melts.
4. Place 2 polenta slices on each of 4 plates; top each serving evenly with shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with parsley.






I ate two of the polenta "pizzas" and then just put the shrimp over the pasta and ate that. 

Sidenote: I am watching Food(ography) on Cooking Channel right now, and it's featuring pork and all parts of the pig, and there was a guy who made these pigs feet wasabi pancake things....I think that may be the one way to get me to eat pigs feet. But then again, I'll just think of Wilbur from Charlotte's Web and hate myself forever....

No comments: