Sunday, November 25, 2012

Marbled Chocolate Banana Bread

I don't know why I buy bananas. They never get eaten. I like my bananas still a little green; once they turn yellow I've lost interest. My interest comes back when they start to brown because I can make bread and muffins. I wanted to make this bread before Thanksgiving, but time was not on my side. Today was a lazy day, so to feel a little productive, I figured I would use up some (I still have 4 left!) of those bananas.

Don't get me wrong, plain old banana bread is delicious, but I always like to add some chocolate to it. When I saw the recipe for this bread I couldn't wait to make it. At first, I was apprehensive because it was a marbled bread and looked fancy so I figured there would be more work involved. I tend to do that, to overestimate the work that goes into some great recipes, but this one was very simple. To get that marbled effect you just swirl two batters together with a knife. No fancy steps to it.

The original recipe also gave the option to sprinkle more chocolate chips on top before baking, which I decided not to do. I kind of wish I had though.




Marbled Chocolate Banana Bread
from Alida's Kitchen

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
2 eggs
1/3 cup low fat buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Cooking spray



  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray 8 1/2 x 4 1/4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt.
  3. In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil on medium until blended (about 1 minute).  Add banana, egg, buttermilk and vanilla, and beat until blended.
  4. Fold the flour mixture into the banana mixture, gently stirring batter until just moist.  
  5. Place chocolate chips in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute (on high) or until almost melted.  Microwave for an additional 30 seconds, if needed.  Stir until smooth and let cool slightly.
  6. Add 1 cup batter to the chocolate, stirring until well combined. 
  7. Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan, alternating between plain batter and chocolate batter.  Swirl batters together using a knife. 
  8. Bake for 1 hour and 10 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack and the remove from pan to wire rack to cool completely.

No comments: