Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Bake

I have 3 more days until February vacation. I'm not sure they can go by fast enough. Like every vacation, I have a slew of recipes I plan on making while I'm home and have the time. I have to make sure I don't have too many yummy leftovers though... I'm getting my gallbladder out the Monday after vacation.

See ya later GB.

A couple nights per week I am usually left to cooking for one, and those nights I try to make all of the yummy (or weird according to Dan) things that he won't eat. Last night, I started roasting a spaghetti squash for a mac and cheese recipe I found, but then Dan's class got canceled. It's been a rough time at work, so we decided to use a gift card we had for Burton's and treat ourselves. And treat ourselves we did. He had a strip steak and I had a cup of butternut squash bisque and then chicken and mushroom ravioli. We ended it with a creme brulee and an Irish coffee with far too much Jameson in it. Like seriously, I was afraid of sweating out booze at my meeting at work today...


So, since the roasted squash got packed up and put in the fridge, I got to make two dished tonight. Both were very easy and very good. I made the squash to take for lunch tomorrow at work. You'll see the dinner recipe tomorrow on here.

The original recipe for this refers to it as a healthy mac & cheese, or squash and cheese if you will. I refer to it as a cheesy bake. It just doesn't even come close to the flavor of mac and cheese. Maybe if I overloaded it with cheese, but it's supposed to be healthy. As a healthy side dish or main dish for one, it's delicious. Just don't expect mac & cheese goodness.

Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Bake
adapted from Joe and Sue

1 small spaghetti squash, roasted (about 2 cups of cooked squashed)
1 tbsp. flour
salt & pepper
1/2 cup milk (I used fat free)
1/2 cup shredded Mexican style cheese
3 slices green pepper, diced
2 tbsp. frozen corn (or any veggie)
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a small casserole dish.
2. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, whisk together the flour, salt and pepper. Slowly add milk and whisk until smooth. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add the Mexican cheese. Whisk until combined.
4. Combine the cheese with the cooked squash and stir to combine. Spread the mix into the casserole dish.
5. Sprinkle with diced pepper, corn and Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake for 20 minutes.




No comments: