Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Root Beer Sloppy Joes

I haven't posted in a while, but it's all for a good reason...


I am now, officially, Mrs. Richter!!

That's right! I'm hitched! I tied the knot! I said "I Do"!

Like most people, you're probably wondering why I'm here, posting to my blog, a few days after my wedding. The honeymoon isn't until next month. Just one more fun thing to look forward to!

Now that life is back to normal, with no more planning and last minute details to take care of, I can get back to cooking and baking. OK, well there is still some planning and last minute details to take care of...my cheer team advanced to Regionals in their competition Saturday morning, so there's that to plan for now too. That also cuts into my dinner-making since practice is usually at 6, cutting into prime dinner-making time.

Tonight, I had plenty of time to make dinner, but Dan has class on Wednesdays, so I tend to cook early so he can eat before he goes. I was fine with that since it gave me time to bake later on (look for that recipe soon!) I needed something quick and easy that could be made in under 30 minutes. Sloppy Joes it was. I really liked the sweetness that the root beer gives this recipe. I've had spicier sloppy joes and some that are too tomato-y. This had a nice balance of that tomato base, with some spice and a great sweetness. We liked to eat cheese on our joes, so toasted buns and a slice of cheese completed our quick and early dinner. It was so quick that I almost forgot to take pictures. I had to take a picture of my partially devoured sandwich on its stylish paper plate. Sorry for the horrid photos. Oh, and I also added a pinch of my sweet n' smoky rub that I add to pretty much everything!

Root Beer Sloppy Joes
from My Recipes

1 lb. ground beef
1 tbsp. canola oil
1 small onion, diced
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1/4 cup chili sauce
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 cup root beer
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced

1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add beef and crumble, cooking until mostly browned.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Cook for a few minutes until everything is cooked and heated through.
3. Toast some hamburger buns or bulkie rolls and enjoy!





No comments: