Sunday, December 28, 2014

Dark Chocolate Peppermint Oreo Fudge

Today I was finally able to get around to making the fudge I was supposed to make on Christmas Eve.

Why didn't I make it on Christmas Eve, you say? Well, our household had a touch of the stomach bug. By touch I mean Dan and I were horribly sick for a few days, so making food wasn't a possibility. Dan was down Sunday until Tuesday around noon, and I was down Tuesday night until Thursday morning. Once Dan recovered he got to take over all cooking duties, making my cheesy potatoes and the chicken cordon bleu lasagna. I held off on the fudge. I don't think people would have wanted to sample my cooking, even when I was on the mend. Now that I am back in full force, I can finish all the cooking I didn't get to and more.

I highly recommend checking out the website this recipe of from. She is chock full of great, easy recipes, that are insanely delicious. I've made some basic fudge before that was okay at best. These two recipes I made today (the other recipe will be up soon!) are fun and soooo good. Maybe I shy away from fudge because it isn't an instant gratification dessert. You make it and then you have to wait for it to set. I prefer desserts you can get right into when they're done, I mean, who doesn't?!

You will need some Andes peppermint crunch chips, which are easier to find around the holidays. I happen to have 3 bags that I purchased a while back at the Christmas Tree Shop because they looked fun. When I came across this recipe and saw that I finally had a great use for some of them it was meant to be. I even had the mini candy cane Oreos at my local grocery store. This comes out with a great, smooth texture and the layers hold up well together, they don't try and separate when you cut them.

Dark Chocolate Peppermint Oreo Fudge
from Inside Bru Crew Life

For the dark chocolate layer:
1.5 cups dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 tbsp. butter
1/4 cup marshmallow cream (such as Fluff)
1/2 cup chopped mini peppermint Oreos

For the white chocolate layer:
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
1/4 sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. butter
2 tbsp. marshmallow cream

For the peppermint layer:
3/4 cup Andes peppermint crunch chips
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. butter
2 tbsp. marshmallow cream

36 mini peppermint Oreos

1. Line an 8x8 pan with foil.
2. In a saucepan over med-low heat, melt the dark chocolate, sweetened condensed milk and butter together and stir until smooth. All the marshmallow cream and stir until smooth. Quickly stir in the Oreo chunks and pour the mix into the prepared dish. Set aside.
3. For the white chocolate and peppermint layers, you will make both at the same time. In one saucepan over med-low heat, melt the white chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and butter. In another saucepan over med-low heat, melt the Andes chips, sweetened condensed milk, and butter. Stir both until smooth. Add the marshmallow cream to each and stir until smooth.
4. Spoon some of each over the dark chocolate layer, in any order. Swirl the two together with a butter knife to make the swirly design. Be sure only to go through the tops layer with the knife and not the dark chocolate layer.
5. Let set slightly, then place the mini Oreos on top, pushing into the top layer a bit.
6. Place in the refrigerator for 4 hours or more. Cut with a warm knife.






No comments: