Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Red Velvet Irish Cream Biscotti

I think it's safe to say that I never really start with "the basics". When I first made cupcakes, they weren't just chocolate or vanilla, they were Cinnamon Chocolate Churro (I think). Well today was my first time making biscotti and I didn't start with your traditional almond biscotti. No. I went with a Red Velvet Irish Cream version. Granted, this recipe is very easy, and I'm sure it doesn't compare to a true traditional biscotti, but it sounded delicious and it broadened my baking horizons.

The best part is.... it tastes delicious too. Red velvet is a flavor I actually don't care for much in cakes. All red velvet is is color. It's a cocoa cake (or cookie or biscotti or what have you) with some red food coloring. It comes from the chemical reaction between vinegar and buttermilk, and the acid properties really bringing out that red color. But it's a red chocolate cake. I sometimes feel like the color doesn't match the flavor. If you get a really vibrant red cake, you expect the flavors to be outstanding, but I find red velvet to be more often than not blander than other flavors. However, I feel it does well with the biscotti. Since biscotti is usually eaten with coffee (or in my case a cappuccino) I didn't want something extra sweet. I also knew the glaze would add a lot of sweetness, with a nice hint of tart from the cream cheese.

I'm definitely curious about making more types of biscotti. I chose this one to start with because it was easy and because I already had all of the ingredients in my kitchen. During this wonderful winter break I am on, we chose to have insulation blown into our house. That means that I have been home all day with an insulation crew drilling holes into my house and blowing in insulation.  The dogs were riled up for a while, but the noises from the crew pretty much scared them, so they cuddled up on the couch together for most of the day. That gave me some time to do some baking...well in between Lana constantly opening up the basement door and heading downstairs to hang out with the crew. For the recipe, I had just run out of the Bailey's Red Velvet Cupcake creamer. Seriously, I even use the brand of creamer the recipe called for. Though I didn't have Red Velvet, I did have Traditional Irish Cream and Mudslide. You can use any creamer or cream for the recipe.

Just try not to eat them all once they're done!

Red Velvet Irish Cream Bisotti
slightly adapted from Shugary Sweets

6 tbsp. butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 egg
3 tbsp. Bailey's Irish Cream creamer, or any flavor, or plain cream
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
red gel food coloring

For the glaze:
2 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1-3 tbsp. Bailey's Irish Cream creamer (depending on consistency you want)

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the cocoa powder, egg, and creamer and beat until combined. Add the flour, baking powder, and a few drops of red food coloring and mix until combined. Add as much food coloring as you would like; I added a couple of bigger drops for just a slight, slight tint.
3. Split the dough in half, and pat each half into a 9 x 2.5 inch rectangle on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. You will have 2 rectangles. Bake for 25 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and cut each rectangle into 9 even slices. Turn each slice on it's side and bake for 10 more minutes.
5. Remove from oven and turn each slice onto the opposite side and bake another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
6. For the glaze: Whisk together the cream cheese, powdered sugar and creamer until smooth. Dip each biscotti slice into the glaze or spread the glaze onto each piece. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.










No comments: