Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Twix Cookies

I don't often make cookies. To me they are usually too much work, too basic, or never come out right. My favorite cookie to make are Andes Mint Cookies, and they are a process. You need to make the dough, freeze it, form it, then top it. Not hard, just more time. Chocolate chip cookies tend to get overcooked by me. But these cookies....

They seemed so simple so I figured I'd try them. I figured something would go wrong. They'd burn or the caramel would burn or not get that slightly hardened soft caramel texture. Nope. These cookies came out exactly how I had hoped and dreamed. And the best part? The name fits. They taste JUST like a Twix bar.

The shortbread recipe couldn't be simpler. Melting the caramel bits in the microwave was quick and easy, as well as melting the chocolate chips. They came together, step by step, without fail or fuss. This is a keep recipe. I brought them my Pop Warner board meeting and they all loved them too!

Twix Cookies
from Chef-in-Training

1.5 cups butter, softened (3 sticks)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
3 cups flour

For topping:
1 bag caramel bits
2 tbsp. whole milk
1 bag milk chocolate chips
2 tsp. shortening

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and powdered sugar. Add the vanilla, egg and flours and beat until combined.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/2-inch thick. Use a cookie or biscuit cutter and cut into circles (or any shape!).
4. Place on a greased baking sheet or a sheet lined with silpat mats. My dough made 20 cookies.
5. Bake for 12 to 16 minutes until slightly golden. Let cool.
6. Once the cookies are cooled, melt the caramel bits and milk in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds at a time, mixing in between until smooth (about 4 times). Spread onto the cookies. Let cool.
7. Heat the chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds at a time, mixing in between until smooth. Spread on top of the caramel. Let cool.
8. Devour them!






No comments: