Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Sticky Chicken Wings

I have maybe made 5 real meals since this baby came along. First trimester exhaustion is no joke! I am finally in week 14 and getting some energy back. Tonight was one of our monthly dinners at my Gram's house where everyone brings a dish and we hang around. This is the third one we've had so far and the first one where I've actually had an appetite. Tonight I was able to make 2 dishes and I was able to eat everything else there.

You see, the first trimester I had NO appetite. Nothing sounded good, and when I finally settled on something to eat, it took about 4 bites to fill me up. I constantly felt like I had just eaten Thanksgiving dinner, and yet I had to eat every 3 hours or I got nauseous. Super fun. Now I'm getting every other day where I have a regular appetite, and every other day where I don't want to eat anything. I'm hoping I have my full appetite back shortly, I really want to get back to cooking and baking.

This was the first monthly family dinner that Dan could attend as well, so I needed to pick dishes I knew he'd eat. I decided I'd make chicken wings for the first time. I really had no idea what went into making fresh chicken wings. I had no idea about cutting off the wing tip, and separating the joints, etc. Yeah not something I'd want to undertake again soon....pregnant me doesn't like playing with chicken joints.  I also had to change my cooking method when I realized the method in the recipe was definitely not going to happen. They started in the crock pot and moved to the oven.

I don't like chicken wings. I don't like meat on the bone. I did, however, love the marinade and glaze for these. It's sticky like implied and full of flavor. The following is the original recipe with my adapted cooking instructions.

Sticky Chicken Wings
adapted from Damn Delicious

3-4 lbs. chicken wings, prepared
1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 tbsp. corn starch
 
1. In a bowl, whisk together the soy sauce through onion powder until combined. Marinate chicken in it for at least a half hour and reserve the marinade.
2. Preheat oven to 375. Place chicken on a greased baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Turn over and bake for another 30 minutes.
3. While the chicken bakes, place the remaining marinade in a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Whisk in corn starch and heat until boiling. Lower heat and continue stirring until it thicken into a glaze. (It will get VERY thick VERY quickly). Remove from heat.
4. Remove chicken from oven and brush with glaze. Return chicken to oven and set to broil. Broil for 2 minutes. Flip chicken over and brush with glaze and broil another 2 minutes. This gets everything nice and sticky and crispy.
 
Everyone loved them, so it's definitely a recipe I'd use again!
 
 
 

No comments: