Monday, June 1, 2015

Baked "Deep Fried" Oreos

I may have found my pregnancy weakness. For a while I thought it was cheesecake but no. These are faster, cheaper, and easier than cheesecake. Cheesecake takes a bunch of ingredients, a lot of time to bake it, and then a lot of time to wait for it to refrigerate. Who has that amount of time to satisfy a craving?

Not I, said the preggo.

You know what doesn't take a lot of time, work, or ingredients? These baked "deep fried" Oreos. You need crescent rolls, Oreos, milk, and powdered sugar. About 10 minutes to make and 10 minutes to bake. OK, if you count preheating the oven that adds time, but I preheated it a little before I got to assembling them and it was no time at all.

Yeah, tell me you don't want these.


As I was assembling these delicious little confections of wonderfulness (new name for them?), Dan was emptying the dishwasher. He leaned over and asked why I was dipping the Oreos in milk before wrapping them in the dough. "To soften them a bit and give them some moisture as they bake so they're soft inside". "Oh, okay". Cut to his first bite... "I let my Oreos soak in milk when I eat them and they have never been this soft or amazing in my life". Hubby tells the truth. Good old Oreos and milk just won't cut it anymore. The warm, soft, buttery dough and the melt in your mouth Oreo cookie, all topped with some powdered sugar is sort of like eating a cookies 'n cream fried dough. But softer, and fluffier, and not fried in oil.

I had to take a few-minute pause in the middle of typing this just to go eat more. These came out of the oven 15 minutes and they're just about gone. As I eat these I think to myself, "Gestational diabetes, here I come..." My craving of sweets has been off the charts, which I'm not exactly a fan of. Before this little womb-raider came along, I never  sweets. It was a rare sight to see me eat a whole cupcake. But 12 of these Oreo goodies seemed to have disappeared...

The following is a recipe for one batch of these.

Which is not enough.

Baked "Deep Fried" Oreos
From Something Swanky

1 can crescent rolls (with or without perforations)
8 Oreo cookies
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup powdered sugar for dusting

1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat mat or parchment paper.
3. Open the crescent rolls but don't unroll the dough. Cut log in to 16 pieces. Don't worry about the lines or anything you're going to squish them.
4. Squish each piece into a round circle just larger than an Oreo.
5. Quickly dip an Oreo into the milk and place on a round of dough. Top with another round and seal the edges together. Place on the baking sheet.
6. Repeat with remaining cookies and bake for 10-12 minutes.
7. Top with some powdered sugar and eat!






No comments: