Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Lemon Parmesan Asparagus

Last night was our monthly family dinner at my grandmother's house. With temperatures in the 80s and the humidity being thick and nearly unbearable, you may wonder why I would choose to roast something. First, I have central air in my house, and second, I craved roasted asparagus. Cravings always win...

I bought two bundles of asparagus and one bundle was pretty large, so I chose to make one and save the other. I should have made both, the asparagus went faster than I had expected it to. This recipe is simple. It's slightly time consuming to dip each stalk in the egg mix and then in the bread crumbs, but 10 extra minutes is hardly time-consuming to me. I made the lemon vinaigrette that goes with this, but found it far too lemony for me. I don't think anyone else used it at dinner either. If you want to make it, click the link for the original recipe.

Tonight, I used the bundle of asparagus I saved and just roasted it with olive oil, sea salt and some cracked black pepper. That was my dinner...a bunch of asparagus. Pregnancy has created some pretty weird meals for me. I eat more smaller meals to prevent heartburn (good Lord, the heartburn!) and because most of the time I just crave one thing at a time a few hours apart. So in about an hour, I'll have dinner part 2, which will consist of who knows what. Maybe the semi-homemade ice cream cake in my freezer...

Lemon Parmesan Asparagus
from Cinnamon, Spice & Everything Nice

1 bunch of asparagus, woody ends snapped off, peeled if desired
2 eggs
2 tbsp. milk
salt and pepper
1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp. lemon zest

1. Preheat oven to 400 and grease a baking sheet.
2. In a shallow dish mix together the egg, milk, salt and pepper.
3. In a separate shallow dish, mix together the bread crumbs, cheese and lemon zest.
4. Working a few at a time, dip the asparagus stalks in the egg, then roll in the bread crumbs to coat. Place on the baking sheet.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until they come out fork tender.






No comments: