Sunday, November 8, 2015

French Onion Pork Chops

It's been a while since we have had a home-cooked meal in this house. Between busy schedules and baby duty, it can be hard to get time in the kitchen. Luckily today Dan didn't have hockey, so he was able to sort of help with the baby (I say sort of because he cleaned out entire garage, mud room, and storage room in the basement). Luckily, Peyton was pretty chill all night so I could dinner and dessert. Yes...there is dessert...

Pork chops are something I thoroughly enjoy when they are cooked right. I cook them right about 70% of the time. The other 30% is when they come out a little tough and dry. Pork chops are also a very affordable meat option for dinner. I can't get over how expensive chicken has become, and steak is reserved for special occasions in this house. This recipe was incredibly easy to make, since all I needed was the pork chops. I already had the onion soup mix, bread crumbs, and eggs. The original recipe calls for Ritz cracker crumbs, but rather than buying a box of crackers that will never get eaten, I chose to use some Italian bread crumbs with it. Easy and delicious. I served them with some mashed potatoes and cheesy broccoli. When I say served, I mean made myself a plate. Dan has yet to eat dinner even though it was ready 2 hours ago...the man never stops...

These were cooked pretty well, not as juicy as I would have liked. The onion soup gives a great flavor and the coating doesn't get too soggy when it's cooked like some other breading recipes do.

French Onion Pork Chops
adapted from Food.com

4 boneless pork chops
1 packet onion soup mix
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp. butter melted

1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a baking dish.
2. Combine the onion mix and breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Place the beaten eggs in another shallow dish.
3. Dip the pork chops in the egg, coating both sides, then dredge through the crumb mix, coating both sides. Place in the baking dish. Repeat with remaining pork chops.
4. Drizzle with melted butter and bake for 45-50 minutes.




No comments: