Monday, January 2, 2017

Three-ingredient Orange Chicken

I have not blogged since JULY.....July.....

August is the start of cheer season, so once that picked up and then school started back up, life was a whirlwind for Hubby and I. There were a lot repeat meals you all have seen before, or quick chicken and pork chop meals as well, as we lived on such different schedules. As cheer season came to an end in November, we also found out some exciting news...

Drumroll....


Baby Richter #2 is on their way! Hubby and I are super excited to announce the arrival our next little one in July! Currently 13 weeks pregnant, my first trimester saw lots of morning sickness and back to back viruses for Peyton and I, so energy and overall morale was low in our house. Dinner fell mostly on Dan, while I nibbled here and there with not so much of an appetite. Now that I have finally hit my second trimester, I am on an upswing and feeling better, and getting a little energy back. 

Also, thrown into the mix was the opening of a breakfast restaurant my parents purchased. I have been helping out on weekends serving breakfast there since early December. So, between that and the holidays, I have been one busy (tired) mama.

Back to what you're all here for though, and that is the food! Easy recipes is the name of the game lately when I'm home from work, exhausted, and wrangling in a toddler. This recipe fits that perfectly. Other than the few extra minutes it takes to coat all the chicken pieces, this recipe is a breeze to throw together. This sauce also comes out nice and thick, the way you want an orange chicken sauce to. I'm always let down when an orange or sweet and sour sauce doesn't come out with the consistency you're looking for.

Three-ingredient Orange Chicken

3 chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup flour
oil for frying

For the sauce:
1 cup barbecue sauce
1 cup orange marmalade
2 tbsp. soy sauce

1. In a saucepan, combine the barbecue sauce, marmalade, and soy sauce. Heat over low heat to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. While the sauce cooks, place beaten eggs in a shallow dish.
3. In another shallow dish, combine the cornstarch and flour.
4. Dredge chicken pieces through the egg mixture, then the flour mixture.
5. Heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet over medium-high heat.
6. Cook chicken 3-5 minutes per side, until cooked through and golden. Transfer to a plate with a paper towel to soak up any oil.
7. In a large bowl, combine chicken and sauce and toss to coat chicken pieces.
8. Serve with veggies, rice, or however you would like!




No comments: