Monday, August 8, 2011

Chocolate Mug Cake

I've seen this recipe pop up several times over my recipes searches and always thought it was a cool idea for a chocolate quick fix. I never attempted to make it before, because it is a rare occasion that I need a chocolate fix. As far as desserts go, chocolate isn't my thing. A trait I most certainly did not get from my mother...I think if she could choose an event that has made her the most proud of me, she would choose the day I made the Triple Chocolate Cupcakes. (Did that sentence make grammatical sense?)

Today was a day that I was craving some chocolate. I don't have anything chocolate in my apartment, other than unsweetened cocoa powder, bitter and semi-sweet baking chocolate and chocolate chips. I am not one to just spoon-feed myself some chocolate chips, so I quickly looked up mug cake recipes and decided on one that looked a) easy and b) eggless. The thought of mixing an egg into something and then microwaving it for only 1 minute just irked me.

First mix the dry ingredients and chocolate chips

Then the wet ingredients

Get a mug

Eat your cake

This recipe does not rise at all when cooking, so using an oversized mug like I did is pointless. You could also double the recipe to make a bigger cake, but this was just the amount of chocolate I needed to satiate my craving. A quicker tip is to mix everything in the mug, but I noticed on my searches, that the people who mix it in the mug, end up with the wet mix on the sides of the mug, which gets cooked onto the mug creating a harder to clean crust. No thanks. I mixed my stuff in a small bowl then spooned it into the mug.

Chocolate Mug Cake
from here

4 tbsp flour
3-4 tbsp of sugar (depending how sweet you want it)
2 tbsp cocoa powder
dash of salt
1 tbsp chocolate chips (I used mini)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp milk or water (I used milk)

Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa and salt together in a mug or a bowl. Add the chocolate chips. Add the wet ingredients and mix until there are no clumps. Transfer to a mug if using a bowl, or pop the mug into the microwave for 1 minute.


You can always add in white chocolate chips to this mix, swirl in some peanut butter, nutella or some raspberry jam even. You could even go wild and mix in caramel or top with whipped cream. I'll play around with this and keep you posted. Or better yet, YOU make one with a twist and let me know how it is. Maybe I'll even bake you come cupcakes for participating :)

No comments: