Sunday, August 14, 2011

Lobster Pot Pie

One of the few things I like more than having lobster, is having leftover lobster meat. We had 3 extra lobsters, so I dissected all of them and saved the meat to make lobster pot pie. I still have over a pound of lobster left, which I will use for lobster mac & cheese.

Don't get excited though. I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I'm talking about boxed mac & cheese. Good ole Kraft mac & cheese. I know, I know... but don't judge.

I was a little disappointed in tonight's recipe. My gravy was thicker before I put the pies in the oven and then it thinned out while cooking. Not sure if it was the juice from the lobster or what, but it was thinner than I would have liked.

Lobster Pot Pie
from Cosmo Magazine
Makes 2 individual pot pies

2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 lb. cooked lobster meat
1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 large egg, lightly beaten

1. Preheat oven to 375. Set out two individual oven-proof bowls.
2. Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium skillet over medium heat.  Add the diced onion and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Add corn and peas. Stir in flour, and cook one more minute.
3. Add milk and broth, stirring constantly. Cook until the sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes. Then remove from heat, add lobster and thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Cut the sheet of puff pastry in half, and reserve one half for another use. On a lightly floured surface, flatten out the pastry, using a floured rolling pin, to about 1/8 inch thickness. Using one of the bowls as a guide, cut the pastry into two circles.
5. Spoon the filling into the bowls and place one circle of pastry on top, pressing the edges to seal it to the bowl. Cut a vent in the center, so air and moisture can escape. Using a pastry brush, cover the entire surface of each pie with the beaten egg.
6. Place the pies on a baking sheet. Bake until the pastry is puffed and becomes a dark golden brown, about 35 minutes.







No comments: