Monday, September 5, 2011

Five Spice Ginger Beef

I love having long weekends from work. That just means a 4-day work-week ahead, but a busy one at that. We have our first football game on Friday, which means we have to organize a spaghetti supper. Then Saturday we have team pictures and our canning fundraising. After that, I run off to the clambake. Then Sunday, I recoup for a new week. After this post, I need to coordinate my schedule with my mom's, because I will be mooching dinners off of her a few days a week when practice goes to 6:30. Tonight is one of the last planned dinners I have until I figure out my schedule. So sad. This recipe was really good, though I would get better beef next time, or make it with shrimp. I also learned that the smell of molasses makes me super nauseous. I was also sure I had peanut oil, something my mind clearly made up, because I don't. I used vegetable oil.

Five Spice Ginger Beef
from Rock Recipes

2 thick-cut strip loin steak, trimmed and thinly sliced (I used pre-cut stir-fry meat)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup Hoisin Sauce
3 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
4 tbsp molasses
1 tsp crushed chili paste
4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
3 tsp toasted sesame oil
 2 red bell peppers, chopped

1. Preheat a wok. Once the wok is nice and hot, add 3 tbsp of peanut oil. Stir-fry the beef for only a minute or two.
2. Remove the beef and drain the oil and dripping. Add another tbsp of oil to the wok and saute the garlic for a minute.
3. Add in the remaining ingredients, except the red pepper, and let simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens into a glaze. Once the sauce thickens, add the beef back to the wok along with the peppers. Cook for 5-10 minutes until the beef fully cooks and the peppers soften a bit. 

Serve over white rice or Chinese noodles.


No comments: