Sunday, October 23, 2011

Caramel Apple Cupcakes

I don't think I'll ever post a survey on what kind of cupcakes to make on Facebook ever again, it was a lot of pressure with everyone's different choices. I went with the option my Gram chose since it was her birthday....but I was a pretty terrible granddaughter and never even gave her some to try. Ughhhhh....

As I was baking these I also had a pretty awesome guy cooking me dinner. Yes, ladies and gentlemen (or ladies, I don't think any gentlemen actually read this blog), I have myself a boyfriend who cooks. Some may call me lucky, I call me strategic (don't think I didn't plan having a guy who knows his way around the kitchen). All jokes aside about my love of food and cooking and finding a guy who cooks, he's pretty great. And he loves my cupcakes so I'll keep him around. He made a super yummy chicken casserole with broccoli and some rice. It even had mayo in it and it was good. I know, I know, I ate something with mayo in it....

Back to the cupcakes though. I was pretty happy when I decorated these with some nice warm caramel. NOT A GOOD IDEA. When caramel that hasn't cooled enough is put on cupcakes that haven't cooled enough, it will melt....ALL OVER THE PLACE. After I decorated them, Boyfriend and I went Halloween costume shopping, only to come home to my cupcakes with melted caramel all over them and the containers. They were messy, but still good.

Pre caramel disaster...

Caramel Apple Cupcakes
from The Girl Who Ate Everything

1 (18.25-ounce) package spice cake mix
2 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup peeled, cored, and chopped Granny Smith apple (about 1 large apple)
35 caramels
1/4 cup evaporated milk or heavy cream (or regular milk)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine cake mix, eggs, sour cream, milk, and vegetable oil until incorporated (about 30 seconds). Scrape sides of bowl and then beat on med-high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in chopped apple.

2. Spoon batter into paper-lined muffin pans, filling two-thirds full. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Do not over-bake. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

3. Meanwhile, combine caramels and milk in a medium saucepan over very low heat; stir 4 minutes or until smooth. It's very important to keep the heat very low because if the caramel gets too hot it will become really hard when cooled.

4. Spread caramel mixture over cupcakes being careful to not touch the caramel to the paper liners or it will stick to the liners. The caramel will soften if left at room temperature if left too long, so be sure to serve them the same day as you decorate them.

No comments: