Thursday, November 3, 2011

Croque-Madame Sandwiches

Let's talk about blizzards before Halloween and then my town losing power for 5 days...some people still without power. My meals have consisted of things that don't need to be heated, things made on a stove top because our generator would allow that, things on the grill, and eating at other people's houses (like my bf's parents).

Let's also talk about not having work all week, but it being the busiest and worst week I've had in a while. With the schools closed and no power in the surrounding towns as well, one would think that a cheerleading competition would be postponed....but no. I give credit to my 20 girls for busting their asses, a blizzard right before competition pretty much capped off how our season was going. They are truly amazing.

Let's also talk about sandwiches. I never really ate a sandwich (unless you count PB and Fluff) until I was like 19? The first real sandwich I ever ate was at Panera when one opened next to my college campus. Panera is easily my favorite chain restaurant. Now as you know, I no longer have to make dinner for one (awesome) and have had to start collecting new recipes that the BF will eat (must consist of meat). I've wanted to make these sandwiches for a while, and thankfully they were something he would eat.

A Croque-Madame consists of ham, cheese, bechamel sauce, and fried eggs. What is there not to love?

No, seriously, what is there not to love?

A glorified ham and cheese. I would eat these all the time if it was socially acceptable.

Croque-Madame
from The Meaning of Pie

Ingredients:

Good quality white bread (think thick-sliced)
1/2 lb. smoked ham
5 tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
3 tbsp. flour
2 cups milk
3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese (I used a mix of Gruyere and Emmentaler) + more for sprinkling
salt and pepper
Dijon mustard
eggs

1. Make the bechamel. Melt 3 tbsp. butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk thoroughly, letting the roux cook for 3 minutes. Add the milk and whisk constantly, bringing to a boil. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and add in cheese, slowly whisking until cheese is melted. Mix in salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
2. One piece of bread, place a few teaspoons of mustard and then top with ham slices. One the other piece of bread, place about 1/3 cup of bechamel sauce. Top with a small handful of the extra shredded cheese.
3. Preheat the broiler. Melt 2 tbsp. of butter on a griddle pan. Toast each side of the sandwich for about 2 minutes or until golden on each side. Place in a greased baking dish. Top with another 1/3 cup of bechamel sauce. Place under broiler for a minute or so. Watch carefully, the toast will burn!
4. Fry up a couple of eggs on the griddle pan and place in top of the broiled sandwiches. Then eat.

I didn't take any pictures...we were too busy eating.

No comments: