Sunday, November 27, 2011

Andes Mint Cupcakes

Since I last posted, I found a couple of really great things at The Christmas Tree Shop. Andes Mint and Peppermint baking chips.



Yup.


I also found myself a new roommate since last time. Yes, tis true, the BF has moved in. I now have another cook in the house and permanent taste-tester for my cupcakes. Awesome. I suppose I can start using his name now, rather than calling him the BF. Dan is now my cupcake tester. He approved of these.

I used a chocolate cupcake recipe I've used before from Annie's Eats. I don't remember where I got the ganache or the buttercream from. I jotted down the recipes quickly.

Andes Mint Cupcakes

Cupcakes:
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 cup sour cream
2 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1½ cups sugar
2 large eggs


Ganache:
2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp butter, softened


Peppermint Buttercream:
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
4-5 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/8 tsp peppermint extract
Green food coloring (optional)


Andes baking chips

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease or prep 2 standard cupcake pans.
2.To make the cake batter, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; whisk together and set aside.  In a liquid measuring cup, stir together the sour cream, milk and vanilla extract.  In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar, and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed.  With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and the sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.  Mix just until incorporated.
3.Divide batter evenly  Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

4. To make the ganache, heat the heavy cream in a saucepan until scalding. Pour over chopped chocolate in a small bowl. Whisk until mixed. Add in the butter and mix until combined. Chill in the refrigerator or freezer until it thickens to your liking.
5. When the cupcakes have cooled, cut out a small part of the center. Drop in some Andes baking chips, then a small spoonful of ganache.
6. To make the frosting, beat the butter until creamy. Add 4 cups of the powdered sugar (I used one box), milk, and peppermint. Beat until well combined. Add in more sugar until you get the desired thickness for frosting. 
7. Frost each cupcake and sprinkle with more Andes baking chips.




 

No comments: