Sunday, December 18, 2011

Spiced Rum Eggnog Cupcakes with Eggnog Latte Frosting

I tried eggnog for the first time on Friday. I probably never would have, but Dan and I had a playful spat a couple of weeks ago about how I was ridiculous to not like eggnog, and even more ridiculous for saying I didn't like it when I had never actually tried it.

He may have been right.

It was okay...a little too thick and sweet. I only had a couple of sips and can't really imagine drinking an entire cup of it, rum or no rum. I could, however, see myself trying it in some coffee.

Yesterday was the Franco's annual member's yankee swap. I (Dan) decided that eggnog cupcakes was the choice to make. The first batch was a disaster, a batter that never fully baked and came out tacky. Not Lady GaGa tacky (we get it GaGa, you're weird), sticky and gooey tacky. I attempted a different recipe, only to find out it made 12 cupcakes.

Who brings 12 cupcakes to a party of 60 people? I had to rush to make a quick appetizer to bring as well. Yesterday was a stressful day. Not too mention I'm doing this all with a cold.

I did end up having 1 bite of a cupcake and gave the rest to Dan. They are really good, and have a pretty good kick of spiced rum flavor, which is why I couldn't eat a whole one. Spiced rum and I don't exactly get along.

If you make these, be aware that the frosting recipe makes enough for at least 2 dozen cupcakes, so you may want to make 2 batches of cupcakes. Also, this cupcake recipe tends to be a bit stickier than a nice soft cake, and the middles sink a bit.

Spiced Rum Eggnog Cupcakes
from Annie's Eats

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
¼ cup dark rum or bourbon (optional)
1 cup eggnog
¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup sugar

To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350˚ F.  Line cupcake pans with paper liners.  In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; whisk to combine.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the rum, eggnog, vegetable oil, vinegar, and sugar.  Beat on medium-low speed until well blended.  Add in the dry ingredients and mix on low speed just until incorporated.

Divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners, filling the cups 2/3 full.  Bake 22-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Allow to cool in the pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Coffee Frosting

1 cup chilled whipping cream
8 oz mascarpone
1 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
2 to 3 cups confectioner's sugar (depending upon how thick you prefer frosting - I used about 2 1/2 cups)
1 tbsp. spiced rum

Whip up whipping cream in mixer until soft peaks begin to form. Fold in mascarpone. While mixing over low speed, slowly add the coffee granules and confectioner's sugar, one cup at a time, being careful not to over whip frosting.


No comments: