Monday, January 16, 2012

Burgundy Beef Stew

For the past week and a half, I kept telling myself I was going to take a day off of work just to do work stuff at home. Well, today I had the day off for MLK day and did I do any work stuff?

The answer to that question is no.

I did, however, get some cheer stuff done and made a delicious meal in the crock pot. You win some, you lose some.

If you use fresh onions (like I had to, because there were no frozen ones), be sure to add in the extra time to quick-boil and peel them. I added in my veggies after 2 hours of cooking because I had to go to cheer practice, and they cooked pretty perfectly. Though next time I make this, I would add the fresh onions at the halfway point. And seriously, is there anything that smells better than something cooking in a crock pot??

Burgundy Beef Stew
adapted from bhg.com

2 lb. boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch chunks
salt and pepper
2 tbsp. quick-cooking tapioca
1 14 oz. can beef broth
1 cup burgundy
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 medium  carrots cut into 1-2 inch pieces (or as many baby carrots as you like)
16 oz. fresh or frozen pearl onions
5-6 small red potatoes, cut into chunks

1. Season the beef with salt and pepper.
2. Place in the crockpot and sprinkle with the tapioca.
3. Pour the broth and burgundy over the beef.
4. Add the garlic and set to high.
5. Halfway through cooking (3 hours) add in the carrots, potatoes, and onions.
6. Cook for 2-3 more hours.

Serve over egg noodles if you like.




No comments: