Sunday, September 9, 2012

Chicken Soup Noodles

Facebook is abuzz with comments like "ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?" and "P-A-T-S PATS PATS PATS!".

And while everyone is all amped up to watch Gronk and the boys dominate, I'm all amped up for tailgating food. Don't get me wrong, I'll watch football if it's on, and I'll get into the Super Bowl if the Pats are playing, but I don't entirely enjoy football. But, I will go to any Sunday football gathering just so I have an excuse to cook and eat other people's food. The fall and winter definitely make for the best recipes.

I didn't go to any football gatherings today. I was too busy with picking up mums for my cheerleaders' fundraiser, delivering some, grocery shopping and cooking. On my delivery route, I stopped by my friend Jaime's and they had crock pots and the smoker going.... that's my kind of Sunday, football or no football.

Tonight I decided to make something that I've wanted to make for a while. It was pretty simple and very yummy. I just wish the broth for the noodles had thickened a little bit more, almost to a gravy consistency, then it would be perfect.

As I finished cooking, my dad arrived with a whole bunch of steamer clams from the local clambake that went on yesterday. So not only did I enjoy lobster and steamers yesterday, but I had some today as well. And some of these noodles. AND I'm about to go make a dessert....

Chicken Soup Noodles
from Pinch of Yum

1 tbsp. olive oil
3 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
3 stalks celery sliced
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 (49.5 oz) can of chicken broth
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 cup cold water
1 lb. egg noodles
2 tbsp. butter
parsley
thyme
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken)
diced green onion (optional)

1. Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the veggies and saute 3-5 minutes until crisp-tender.
2. Add the chicken broth and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Dissolve the cornstarch in the cold water and pour into soup pot. Add the noodles and bring to a rolling boil. Stir every few minutes until noodles are just about cooked (think al dente).
4. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, parsley and thyme. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. The broth will thicken as the pot cools an the noodles will continue to cook a bit.
5. Mix in the green onions (if using) and serve.


2 comments:

Jake48 said...

Looks awesome...I am going to make this recipe....Love Noodles & Chicken...

Jake48 said...

Looks awesome...I am going to make this recipe....Love Noodles & Chicken...