Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Maple-Dijon Pork Tenderloin

Today marks an important event in history.

I finally got to use a recipe where the skillet went from the stove top straight into the oven!

Thanks to my wonderful Christmas gift of a stainless steel cookware set, I have pans that can go in the oven, a first for me!

Not only did I get to do the whole stove top/oven ordeal, I got to de-glaze the pan. Whenever I had to de-glaze my old pans it never worked, everything just sort of stuck. Things didn't cook evenly in my old pans, and the non-stick coating would start to scrape off. So glad those are boxed up and out of my cabinets!

I didn't go fancy on the sides for this, just a steamer bag of a pasta and veggie mix I had in the freezer. My next plan is to start using up all of the marinades and dinner kits I have in my cabinets that I never use. Maybe I'll do some blogging about "off the box" recipes (that means recipes that come on a package).

You know what's great about this recipe? It's from Eating Well, which is all about healthy recipes. I also made it even healthier because I used sugar-free maple syrup. Not on purpose, it's just what I have in the fridge.

Maple-Dijon Pork Tenderloin
adapted from Eating Well

1 lb. pork tenderloin, trimmed
3 tbsp. Dijon mustard, divided
kosher salt
fresh ground pepper
2 tsp. canola oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp. maple syrup

1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of Dijon with a pinch of kosher salt and a pinch of fresh ground black pepper. Rub over the tenderloin.
3. Heat canola oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the tenderloin on all sides, about 3-5 minutes.
4. Place the skillet in the preheated oven and cook for 15-10 minutes until a thermometer reads about 145 degrees and pork is cooked through (took me about 24 minutes as part of the tenderloin was thicker).
5. Let the pork rest on a cutting board and return the skillet to the stove on medium-high heat.
6. Add in the cider vinegar and de-glaze the pan, making sure to use a wooden (or silicone) spoon to scrape up the burnt bits. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer.
7. Whisk in the 2 tablespoons of mustard and maple syrup.
8. Pour sauce over the roast and cut and serve.

** My roast needed a quick sear (I sliced it before pouring the sauce on it, since I was skeptical about it being cooked in the thick parts). I sliced it and the pieces that needed a sear I put in the skillet with the sauce and let cook for 1-2 minutes making sure it was thoroughly cooked. The rest I coated in sauce and served!





No comments: