Saturday, August 3, 2013

Buffalo Egg Rolls

An impromptu fire/house party last night ended with the last guests leaving at 3:30 am and me home by 10 on a Saturday night. I'd say our first gathering at our house was a success!

A few of my friends all live in the same neighborhood (almost all on the same street) and they have started having an annual block party each summer. Today was such a great day for the block party. The weather was perfect, and other than being a little beat from last night's festivities, it was a great time. There was lots of great food, including shrimp, mussels, pulled pork, desserts and smoked stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon. I missed the jalapenos, which made me sad, they sounded absurdly delicious. I was going to make these awesome stuffed peppers that my cousin's girlfriend makes, but then I decided on something different since Dan won't eat peppers. I made up these egg rolls on my own, adapted from a few different recipes I've seen in the past. I made half with blue cheese dressing, which traditionally goes with buffalo, and half with ranch, which Dan prefers. You can make them however, but the recipe below is for mine. I wish I had taken pictures of how to roll them up, but I was under a time constraint.

Buffalo Egg rolls
*makes about 40 rolls

2 packages egg roll wrappers
4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1/4 or 1/3 cup Frank's red hot wing sauce (I didn't measure, I used somewhere in between that I think)
20 slices provolone cheese, cut in half
1 bottle ranch dressing
1 bottle of blue cheese dressing

1. Preheat oven to 400. Grease 2 cookie sheets.
2. Mix the wing sauce with the shredded chicken.
3. Lay out an egg roll wrapper. Place a piece of provolone toward the bottom right corner of the wrapper. Place a heaping spoonful of chicken on the cheese and drizzle with dressing. Wrap up the roll tucking in the corner and sealing the last corner with a little water. Repeat with all wrappers.
4. Lightly spray the tops of the egg rolls with cooking spray and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.


No comments: