Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Easy Fajitas

Ok, so this past weekend my diet went to complete sh*t. Out the window. Buh bye!

It started Friday with a bridal shower I went to with some really good mini quiches and stuffed mushroom and meatballs and cheese and crackers and these spinach phyllo things and....

Then, there was Saturday. I ate a box of mac & cheese through out the day. Granted that was the only bad thing I ate, but still....

Then, Sunday, Dan and I went to breakfast at Paul's Diner where I got eggs benedict. I did eat anything again until dinner time, which was some raviolis because I was working at the bar and needed something quick and easy.

Yesterday I did better, with an egg white sandwich on a bagel thin for breakfast, Smart Ones lasagna for lunch, and a chef salad for dinner. I was under my points for the day!

Today, I was not hungry for most of the day. I had 5-point snack midday and then nothing until dinner. I really wanted some fajitas, so I had to think of a way to doctor them up because Dan does not like anything remotely Mexican, like taco seasoning or anything like it. I added just a hint of spices to give it some heat, but more garlic for Dan's liking. I also had to search and scan all of the tortillas into my WW app on my phone to find the ones with the lowest points. Not only did I find some, but they are the softest tortillas I've ever had. Amazing! Definitely go with Mission Carb Balance tortillas for anytime you need a tortilla. Two points per tortilla and amazingly soft and fresh. So, when I put this recipe into my WW calculator, they came out to be 7 points per fajita. Because I ate almost nothing earlier, I had 2 for dinner. These could be even healthier if you don't put any cheese or sour cream on them like I did, but that just seems crazy to me....

 Easy Fajitas

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
1 green pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cumin
pinch of cayenne pepper
Flour tortillas, fajita size
Mexican shredded cheese for garnish
Light sour cream for garnish

1. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onions and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Lower heat and cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once they are softened to your liking, remove from pan and set aside.
2. Add chicken to skillet and turn heat back to medium-high. Brown chicken on all sides. Add vegetables back to pan.
3. Season with garlic powder, cumin and cayenne pepper. Stir and cover and let everything heat through for another 3-5 minutes.
4. Warm tortillas and top with chicken, veggies, cheese and sour cream.




No comments: