Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Apple Turnovers

Happy Apple Turnover Day!

Today was also the first day of summer school, and the day that Casey Anthony was found not guilty. Florida, you can just detach yourself from the U.S. and sink in the ocean. Take Casey with you.

Leave behind my cousins, though. Thanks.

I also have a cold that I brought back on my coast-to-coast travels. Thanks Kimberly! (JK, it's worth it!) I promise to those who sampled my turnovers that they are germ free!

Apple Turnovers
modified from here

2 tbsp. lemon juice
4 cups water
3 granny smith apples
2 tbsp. butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. water
1 pkg. (17.25 oz) frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners sugar
2-3 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 400. Mix the lemon juice and 4 cups of water in a large bowl. Peel, core and slice the apples and place them in the water bowl, this will keep the apples from browning.
2. Lay out your puff pastry sheets and make sure they are square, trimming as needed. Cut each sheet into 4 equal squares, leaving you with 8 squares.
3. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain the apples and add to the skillet, stirring and cooking for 2 minutes. Add brown sugar and cinnamon; cook and stir another 2 minutes.
4. Combine the water and cornstarch in a small bowl and add to skillet; mix well. Stir and cook another minute or until sauce thickens.
5. Spoon some apples into the center of each pastry square. Fold across from corner to corner and seal edges.
6. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet about an inch apart. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until pastry has risen and is golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and let cool completely before glazing.
8. To make the glaze: Combine sugar, vanilla and 1 tablespoon of milk at a time. Mix in between each addition of milk until desired consistency is reached (I used about 3 and a half tbsps of milk).
9. Drizzle glaze over turnovers and eat!

Note: This was my first time using puff pastry. I am also really bad at sealing edges...so do it neater and tighter than I did.

I hate these apple corer-slicer contraptions

Slices

MMMM

Ready for filling

Ready for folding

Ready for baking

Glaze

Puffy and spilling over, but yummy

 My dear friend Jaime gave me a bag of her old Food Network magazines. I, in turn, gave her some turnovers. Hope they were good! Now I'm off to scavenge for new recipes.

No comments: