Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Cali Chronicles: Finale

I am home from Cali and have been for a day. I came home to my dog, the humidity, and a cold. Great.

Friday night, Bryan and I went to dinner. It must have been my lucky day, because not only did I get the Grilled Cheese Truck, but we went to Umami Burger for dinner. Those were my top 2 places I wanted to eat at, and we did them both in one day. Umami Burger has a few locations, and we went to the one that's in "Urban", meaning it's next to the giant Urban Outfitters. I have seen Umami Burger on more than one show between the Food Network and The Cooking Channel. The one in Urban is a pretty small place with a pretty small menu, but it's as good as they say. We ate semi-early, so we beat the crowd. I got the Port & Stilton Burger, which has exactly that on it, Stilton cheese and caramelized onions soaked in port. It was just the right size. I really hate when restaurants give you a massive, overcooked burger that you're never going to finish. Burgers, in my opinion, are not a good leftover food. We also got a side of smushed potatoes, which are yellow creamer potatoes that are baked and smushed. Delish. Top it off with a Kirin Ichiban beer and we were good to go.


Branded

Smushed Potatoes


We then went to Lola's. a swanky little martini bar that has over 50 martinis. I didn't get a martini, I behaved myself and stuck with Stella Artois, my beer of choice for the week. The party was fun, but it's a bar with 3 small rooms and our room was loud, crowded and hot. After a while, drinking just made everyone feel hotter and stickier, and our group disbanded and headed home. Bryan and Alex had a tee time to be up for in the morning.

While the boys golfed Saturday morning, I went to brunch with Kimberly and Becky at Bottega Louie. Becky knows that guy that runs the place and she hostesses a couple days a week. I wish I had had dinner there, as the dinner menu looked really good. We started with some mini muffins...and when I say mini, I mean mini.

After that, I got the Burrata and Pancetta Scramble. It was scrambled eggs with pancetta and cremini mushrooms, topped with burata mozzarella (which is the best mozz). Kimberly got the Lemon Ricotta Pancakes, and Becky got scrambled eggs with bacon and potatoes. I got to try a little bit of everything, and everything was gooooooood.



We grabbed some pastries on the way out. Now, I really wish I had a good camera, as the glare on the dessert case showed up too much on my phone. Their pastries are PHENOMENAL. They have those ritzy, beautiful pastries that one can only dream of. Yes, I sometimes dream of pastries. I got some assorted macarons (which I ate for the first time), I got a chocolate peanut butter terrine for Bryan, and Kimberly and I got a Chocolate Raspberry Tart and this chocolate cupcake that had chocolate frosting with big sugar granules on top and the cupcake was filled with salted caramel. I NEED MORE.

Saturday finished up with me, Bryan, Alex, Kimberly, Dave, and Kennedy going out for sushi at Kabuki. I went there the last time I was out in L.A. and it remains my favorite sushi place for octopus. We had all sorts of crazy rolls and some sake. We headed next door to the coolest bar/cafe I have ever been in. It's called Cafe Was, and the inside reminded me of a mix of some vinatge-y, shabby chic-ish, Victorian era place. The walls had different wallpapers that looked like they started to strip the walls to reveal a different wallpaper underneath. It had antique lamps and half of paintings hanging on the wall. The bartender knew his libations, and made me this crazy drink that was very delicious and organic tasting. We ended up going back to the apartment for some balcony beer pong and hilariousness.

My final farewell was a breakfast at the Kings Road Cafe, where I got Eggs Benedict served over a croissant. That makes two benny dishes for me served over unusual things. I then headed off the airport for some annoyance and close calls for my flights.

I am happy to be home, but sad to leave the dry heat and wonderful undiscovered restaurants back in Hollywood. Til next time....

No comments: