Friday, July 15, 2011

Restaurant Review: Feng Shui

Since my Cali trip, I've decided that I need to start trying different restaurants in my area. People seemed to have enjoyed my posts about the restaurants in Cali, so why not blog about the ones around here? The past few days I have been busy with my final paintings for Erin's wedding. My friend Jeff and I have been painting pieces of fencing as backgrounds for pictures and things. The rain put a damper on day 1 after about 30 minutes, so we decided to stop painting and start eating. It was decided that we should go to Feng Shui, a Japanese hibachi and sushi place. I've eaten there before, but I figured I would try something new this time.

We got the normal appetizers of dumplings and crab rangoons. No photos of those, they are your run of the mill apps. Then, Heidi got their tempura and the Alaska roll, Erin got pad thai and the crazy maki and the spicy tuna roll, and I got avocado shrimp and the spicy scallop roll. I have had the spicy scallop roll at a few restaurants, so I felt comfortable getting it even though the menu had no description of it. Bad choice. This is what I got...

Yeah. That's topped with eel. EEL! They should definitely alert you when eel will be tagging along with your other (tastier) sushi. The inside was a scallop tempura that was not spicy at all. I felt horrible about it, but I picked all of the eel off the top. Note to self: ask questions if the menu has no description.

Avocado shrimp

Tempure temple

Crazy and spicy tuna rolls
My avocado shrimp was kind of a let down. It is jumbo shrimp wrapped in philo dough "nests" and fried. The avocado sauce was just plain avocado whipped up with maybe a little cream. There wasn't much favor, so I started dipping them in the dumpling sauce.

Heidi's tempura looked good. It came in the fancy shape of an Aztec temple of sorts. Aside from the giant slabs of tofu that were included, she was pleased.

The other rolls were great, no eel creeped into them. Or onto them....or near them.

No comments: