Friday, May 18, 2012

Chipotle Ranch Deviled Eggs

For the longest time, I would watch my family devour deviled eggs, thinking they were disgusting and gross, but secretly wishing I could bring myself to try one. I don't like mayonnaise, and until about 3 years ago, I wouldn't eat anything that contained mayo, whether you could taste the mayo or not. Then, I had three separate times when I was eating various dips and was told they contained mayo. I decided that maybe mayo mixed in with things wasn't so bad. I told myself the next time I saw deviled eggs, I would try them.

Traditional deviled eggs are just the hard boiled eggs whites, filled with a mix of the yolk, mayo and paprika. I love deviled eggs, even traditional ones, but when I make them, I never make them in the traditional fashion. I prefer them with more flavor. I've made deviled eggs with creamy Italian dressing or ranch dressing substituting the mayo, or I make Mexican deviled eggs where I do half mayo half salsa mixed with the yolks.

This time, I decided on ranch instead of mayo with some chipotle spice rub mixed in. I was very temped to do half them with ranch and buffalo wing sauce...maybe next time.

I also always find that there is barely enough filling to fill the eggs up nice and full. Next time, I may make extra eggs and use the yolks for the filling.


Chipotle Ranch Deviled Eggs

1 dozen eggs
1/3 cup ranch dressing
1/2 tbsp. chipotle spice rub

1. To hard boil eggs, place eggs in a large saucepan and cover with about 1 inch of water. Heat to a boil. Let boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and cover. Let sit for 10 minutes. Run the eggs under cold running water until the cool. You can also submerge them in a bowl of cold water and ice.
2. Once cooled, peel the eggs and cut each egg in half lengthwise.
3. Scoop out the yolks and place in a bowl
4. Mix the ranch dressing and chipotle rub with the egg yolks, being sure the yolks are mashed. You can also run this in a food processor for a creamier filling.
5. Spoon or pipe the filling into the eggs. Sprinkle with more chipotle rub and serve.





1 comment:

Boston Food Diary said...

I have never been a fan of anything hard boiled egg- at all- ever. The texture and look of them completely freak me out. However- they are on the list of things Im going to force myself to like- so I appreciate your advice....someday I will overcome and since my list is dwindling- I think it will be soon :-(