Thursday, May 17, 2012

Tortellini Skewers

We had a family BBQ this past weekend. This is a food I make for BBQs and parties all the time. There have even been times when I've showed up with something else and people have said to me, "I wish you brought the tortellini things". It always makes me happy when people love the simplest foods. There is nothing homemade about these, it's all pre-made items pushed onto a skewer. Yet they get a lot of compliments, as if I had made them from scratch. I enjoy when I get that reaction, because sometimes I feel like if I don't make something from scratch that people won't be as impressed.

You could put anything with the tortellinis on a skewer. Most people ask me to put grape tomatoes, but I don't like them, so I don't. But you could put a little tomato, mozzarella ball, and some spinach on it, all drizzled with some balsamic vinegar reduction, and it would be fantastic. Different kinds of cheese, different olives, veggies....whatever you desire. I make mine the same almost every time.

All you need are these things:

Large package of refrigerated tortellinis (such as Buitoni)
Italian dressing
Pepperoni slices
1 Can black olives
1 package string cheese or cheese sticks, cubed
Party Skewers

(These made about 55 skewers)

Make the tortellini according to the package. Drain and rinse under cold water. Place in a bowl and mix with 1/2 cup Italian dressing, being sure all are coated.

On each skewer, you want 2 tortellinis, 1 slice pepperoni, folded into quarters, 1 black olive, and 1 cube of cheese.


3 comments:

Jennifer said...

incredible, they are so colorful, going to bring these to a cookout this weekend- love you!!

Jennifer said...

incredible, they are so colorful, going to bring these to a cookout this weekend- love you!!

Sarah Beth said...

You're the second person this week to tell me they are going to make these this weekend....so easy, but so so good!