Sunday, May 20, 2012

Grilled Corn on the Cob

I absolutely love grilled foods. When it comes to doing the actual grilling, however, I feel less than confident. I guess it plays into my hangups on cooking meat. I always fear it will be undercooked, or overcooked and dry. A lot of times when I prepare meats for grilling, I make Dan cook them. I'm not entirely sure why, since he likes he beef almost bleeding, but make him double check my meat and poultry all the time.

Today, my mum agreed to buy the ingredients if I would cook dinner. Seemed like a fair trade off, so I told her to get me a pork tenderloin, some shrimp, and some ears of corn. I've been staring at all of the marinades and sauces I have jarred up in my cabinets for about two weeks, telling myself that I need to use them. Today was the day.

This meal doesn't really flow flavor-wise, but I wanted to try a couple different marinades. For the pork, I used Stonewall Kitchen's Roasted Apple Grill Sauce. I figured with a sauce that was thick and definitely packed a lot of apple flavor, pork was the way to go. For the shrimp, I only basted one skewer with Pampered Chef's Raspberry Habanero Sauce. Not everyone (meaning Dad and Dan) would like the raspberry sauce, so I limited it to the one skewer.

What really got me on the grilling track, however, was wanting to make grilled corn on the cob. I've read so many recipes on how to do it, and I decided to just go with a basic, plain one. I figured people could put butter or salt on it as they pleased. Now, out of the 20 or so recipes I checked out, they were divided in half. Half said to husk the corn fully and put them right on the grill, and some said to either leave them in a layer of husk or wrap them in foil. I decided to try a method of keeping them in the husk. Most said to brush the husks with olive oil and place them on the grill, turning every few minutes, until the husks are nice and charred, about 15-20 minutes. Only one recipe I saw said to soak to corn in the husks in water for about 20 minutes before grilling. I should have gone with that one.

The husks catch on fire on the grill. After 8 minutes or so I decided to take them off the grill, remove the husks, and just put them right on the grill. I left them on the grill, turning every now and then for another 10 minutes or so. I like my corn cut off the cob, so I cut it off and mixed it with butter and some chipotle seasoning.

If you grill corn on the cob, I'd go with soaking the husks or just right on the grill. You can brush them with oil, or if you wrap them in foil, you rub them with butter and seasonings and make them however you like.


Before catching on fire...

After abandoning the husks, all nice and grilled


2 comments:

Boston Food Diary said...

Grilled corn is basically the best thing on earth!! They definitely catch on fire though so the water method is a good one :-) Have you ever made grilled pizza? Revelation...

Sarah Beth said...

No, remember how we were talking about my atrocious dough skills? I have yet to try and tackle them yet!