Sunday, May 13, 2012

Homemade Pizza Rolls

Today is Mother's Day, so let me start by saying Happy Mother's Day! to all you mamas out there.

My mom wanted some hanging plants for her front porch and lamp post. Dan's mom also wanted a hanging plant, so Dan and I set out this morning to gather our mother's day gifts (I know, so last minute!). We started with breakfast at a place my grandmother loves so I could grab her a gift certificate. They finally added Eggs Benedict to their menu! It wasn't the greatest eggs benedict I've ever had (I am still on the hunt for that), but it was good enough that I finished all of it.We then grabbed the flowers and cards and headed to Dan's parents, where his dad served us some strawberry shortcake. It was a pretty solid morning if I do say so myself.

After mother's day gift giving, I looked up some recipes I've been wanting to make, since I need to get back to cooking. Dan and I have been sustaining on frozen foods for the past week and a half due to super busy schedules. I'm just hoping that since I have 3 days of meals planned that nothing ruins it...

Speaking of frozen foods, one of the foods we keep in the freezer usually are pizza rolls. You know, as in Totino's pizza rolls. I ate them as a kid every now and then, and my brother pretty much survived off of them (and chicken nuggets), and I still love them as an adult. They're a guilty pleasure, because they're so bad for you. When I came across a recipe on a healthier way to make them, I was all over it.

These actually came out really good. The filling gives the frozen variety a run for it's money, though I would add more pepperoni than I did. Actually, if you're going to use pepperoni, use a thicker cut pepperoni, I used the regular slices, which were too thin. The wonton crusts are crunchy on the edges and thin in the middle, which is very different than the frozen variety, but it tasted nice and fresh, the way something baked should taste. This filling would be great to substitute in the Homemade Pizza Pockets I've made before.

I mean, who would say no to these? Actually, Dan would because they have minced peppers and onions in them....oh well, more for me!


Homemade Pizza Rolls
Adapted from Back to the Roots

olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 green bell pepper, minced
1 small onion, minced
2 cups pizza or marinara sauce (I used pizza)
1 cup shredded mozzarella (I used part-skim)
1/3 package of sliced pepperoni, minced (even better, use thick-cut pepperoni)
1 package wonton wrappers
cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the garlic, pepper and onions. Saute for about 6 minutes or until they have softened.
3. Pour in the pizza sauce, cheese and pepperoni. Stir for about 2 minutes until the cheese is melted and everything is heated through.
4. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Lay out a wonton wrapper. Place a tablespoon of pizza filling in the center of the wonton. Wet your fingers with water and moisten the edges of the wrapper. Fold in half and seal all edges (this will get messy!).
5. Spray the tops of the wontons with cooking spray and bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown and crisp.
6. Repeat with another batch. This makes about 38 pizza rolls.

MMM....veggies and garlic

It's ok to spoon-feed yourself some of this...I did...

Wontons

Fill and fold..

Ready to bake!

Hot out of the oven!

In case you missed it before...

Before I go, I'd like to add in a gripe. I was all pumped up about the new Foil/Parchment paper, one side foil one side parchment, but it's a super hassle to work with. The foil is supposed to make it pliable and easy to fold and shape to your pans, but it doesn't. You have to cut it down to fit your pan perfectly. It also curls up when it bakes...you can see evidence of that in my second-to-last picture. I used regular foil on my second batch and it was much easier.

No comments: