Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Homemade Pizza Pockets

Or homemade pizza pop-tarts, as these resemble both. I read over this food idea while reading a different recipe. The woman was making fruit pop-tarts and tried them with pizza filling and said they resembled pizza pockets. There was no recipe for it, but I figured I probably couldn't screw up making these. They required pie crust, pizza sauce, cheese and any pizza filling I might want.



I did not screw these up. The crusts are definitely not as flaky as a real hot pocket, but they are probably infinitely healthier. They definitely could've used more filling (or cheese at least).

Homemade Pizza Pockets

Pre-made refrigerated pie crusts (I used 2 9-inch crusts)
1 jar pizza sauce
shredded mozzarella cheese
any pizza toppings you like (I added mini pepperonis)

Roll out the crust onto a clean surface. Place the second crust on top. Cut into rectangles. (I got about 4 doing this and used the scraps to make 2 more.


Top with sauce, cheese, etc. I added some garlic powder to mine as well. Leave some room at the edges so you can seal it up.


Place the top piece of dough on. Seal the edges and press with the ends of a fork. Brush with olive oil. I sprinkled some Italian seasoning on top as well. Bake in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes until crust cooks through.

Voila!

No comments: