Monday, April 11, 2011

Zucchini Pizzas

Today was a crazy day. Between working at another school for the day to observe some upcoming students, meetings, planning and report card grades due tomorrow, I also had a dentist appointment that had to be canceled. I also have dance class tonight. I also need to clean out my fridge. Badly.

I have discovered that I LOVE to stock my fridge with leftovers. I also found out that eat about half of my leftovers. I then find myself wondering where all my tupperware has disappeared to and why I have no room in my fridge for new groceries. I also have a fridge that is half the size of a normal fridge.

Little fridge.

 I have tried to take on a habit of using up ingredients I already have...but how many days in a row (or in a week) can you eat pizza toppings or ricotta cheese (which I ALWAYS have leftover). Pizza stuff is highly adaptable, so I used some tonight. Ricotta cheese I didn't use, and I think I have two half-filled tubs of it in my fridge. Such a waste of good stuff...if only I could eat pasta....

This recipe is one I've held onto for quite some time. With the warm weather here (finally!), veggies and lighter fare is what I'm craving. And pasta.

ANYWAYS, it's a great way to eat the great stuff that's in pizza without the crust. It's super easy to make and quick, which is the best thing for a busy and beautiful day.

Hollow out some zucchinis

Mix together some pizza ingredients and stuff the zucchi boats.

Top them with some cheese.

Don't forget the olives.

Zucchini Pizzas
adapted from here

3 medium zucchinis
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/3 cup mini pepperonis, chopped
1 tsp. Italian seasonings
shredded mozarella cheese
sliced black olives (if you like them)

1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Wash the zucchinis to be sure to remove any grits from the skins. Cut the zucchinis in half, lengthwise. Hollow out the zucchinis using a spoon and reserving the flesh. Leave about a 1/4 inch around the edges. Place zucchini "boats" on a baking dish.
3. Chop the reserved zucchini into small pieces. In a bowl, mix the zucchini pieces, tomato sauce, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, pepperoni and Italian seasoning.
4. Fill the boats with the mixture. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and place olives on top.
5. Bake for 20 minutes until cheese is melted and ingredients are heated through.

Oh yes.

No comments: