Sunday, April 3, 2011

Lamb Ragu

This might be the longest I have gone without updating the blog. March was an absurdly busy month....April's not looking any smoother. This recipe is from two weeks ago at least. When I saw this recipe I instantly knew I had to make it...it involved lamb and pasta. But alas, I cannot eat pasta yet, so adapted it to go over spaghetti squash, which is quickly becoming a new favorite ingredient of mine.

I would start by prepping your spaghetti squash.

Cut the squash in half and remove seeds. Drizzle the cut sides with olive oil and place cut side down on a rimmed baking pan. Bake at 400 for 40-50 minutes until squash is tender. Scrape out the insides of the squash and place in a separate dish.

Lamb Ragu
adapted from MyRecipes.com

4 tsp. EVOO, divided
8 ounces lean ground lamb
3/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 tsp. fresh minced rosemary
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1.5 cups canned crushed tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup fat-free less-sodium chicken broth

1. Heat 1 tsp oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add lamb; cook for 5 minutes, stirring to crumble. Remove lamb from skillet with a slotted spoon, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt. Discard drippings from pan and reduce heat to med-low. Add 2 tsp oil, onion and carrot and cook for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally Add rosemary and garlic, cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.

2. Return lamb to pan and add wine. Increase heat to med-high; cook for 3 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Add remaining 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes and broth; bring to a simmer. Partially cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.

3. Spoon the mixture over some spaghetti squash. Serve.

The recipe called for mint, which I'm not a huge fan of if it's not unless it's in a mojito. I left the mint out. It also said to top the dish off with a tablespoon or two of ricotta cheese. That I did. So delicious!

Sauteed veggies

Lamb

Lamb Ragu


As a bonus, I'll add in a pictture of something I made last week. No recipe for it, I just threw together some stuff I had in the house.

Langostino Tikka Masala


It just consists of langostino tails (bought at Trader Joe's), peas, corn, rice and a jar of Tikka Masala sauce.  Saute the langostino tails in a skillet until heated through. I steamed the corn and peas, you could throw them in the skillet to heat them if you like. Once the langostino is heated through, add the tikka masala to the pan and simmer for about 10 minutes. I added the veggies in after this point, then spooned the mixture over rice.

No comments: