Sunday, April 10, 2011

Szechuan Shrimp

I have 2 weeks to go until I can eat pasta again. I gave up junk food years ago for lent, and since then I have even much less of it. I can't remember the last time I have bought chips, other than tortilla chips to eat with salsa. I rarely eat candy and I eat cookies when they are freshly baked or sold by girl scouts. Not eating pasta hasn't gone any easier since day 1...and I now feel bad for people who have tried to quit smoking. It must be awful. All I want is lasagna.

And raviolis.


And tortellinis.


And mac & cheese.


Now that the venting is over, let's get to the shrimp. This is one recipe in my books that I've made many times. I've added different veggies to it each time, but it's good as is. Tonight I served it over quinoa because I had no rice left. I like quinoa, but I have to be in the mood for it. I would've preferred rice tonight. I also added langostino tails, broccoli florets and snap peas to it. The best thing about this recipe is I almost always have all the ingredients on hand at any given time. With the exception of green onions, the rest are staples I always have, even the shrimp. I always have frozen shrimp on hand.


Szechuan Shrimp
from blogchef.net

12 oz. cooked large shrimp, tails removed
4 tbsp. water
2 tbsp. ketchup
1 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. honey
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/4 cup green onions, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced


1. In a small bowl, mix together water, ketchup, soy sauce, cornstarch, honey, red pepper and ginger.
2. Heat oil in a wok or skillet over med-high heat. Add green onions and garlic. Stir-fry for 30 seconds.
3. Add shrimp and toss to coat with oil.  Pour in sauce. Heat while stirring until sauce is thick and bubbly.



Up for tomorrow: zucchini pizzas.

No comments: