Monday, March 25, 2013

Stovetop Mac & Cheese

At least once a month, I do a cooking activity with my students. I choose easy recipes with few steps, as I am teaching them functional kitchen and cooking skills in my vocational internship class. They asked if we could make macaroni cheese this month, so here's how it came out.


My students are great when we cook. Though they need a lot of supervision with many things, they are always eager to learn new kitchen skills and they take pride in the meals they've made. I found this recipe with a quick google search. The most intensive part of the recipe is grating the cheese. It's a great motor skill activity for my kids, and I use my Ikea grater bowls, which works out much easier for them.

Check them out here http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50153180/

Stovetop Mac & Cheese
adapted from Clever Crafty Cookin Mama 

1 16 oz box of pasta (we used large elbows)
4 tbsp butter
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 can evaporated milk (didn't use the whole thing)
1-2 cups grated cheddar cheese (we used just about 1.5 cups)
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Cook and drain noodles. Return to pot.
2. Stir in butter, cheese soup and 1/2 can of evaporated milk. Stir until combined.
3. Add 1 cup of cheese and stir. Add more cheese to get the desired cheesiness. Add in evaporated milk in small amounts if you want to make it creamier. (We ended up using about another 1/4 cup of milk for ours with about 1.5 cups of cheese).
4. Serve and top with salt and pepper as desired.

No comments: