Friday, March 29, 2013

Cadbury Cupcakes

The other day I realized that I couldn't even remember the last time I made cupcakes. The last documented time in this blog was November...that's 4 months ago! With Easter coming, I decided I'd make an Easter themed cupcakes. As a kid, I always loved Cadbury Creme Eggs. As an adult...not so much. Well, it's not that I don't like them, but I tried a bit of the filling as I was making them today, and it was just so sugary. Makes sense that the filling was used in the frosting...



Today was a half day at work. I had the chance to grab lunch with my parents, take the dog out for a serious run, and then do some baking. When I saw this recipe I knew the recipe for the cake looked familiar. I did not, however, realize that it's a recipe I've used 6 times....and failed 6 times. Seriously, this recipe (well not this one posted, but the original) does not work for me, and I don't know why. Luckily I had a boxed mix in my cabinet that I doctored a bit. I'm always very disappointed when a boxed mix needs to be used. The recipe below is for my version of the cake, you don't use the ingredients on the box, you substitute the water for milk and the oil for butter. Not healthier by any means, but definitely gives it a more homemade from scratch flavor and it makes the cake a little denser. I read a tip about adding 2 extra egg yolks to get a nice dense cake, I'll have to try that sometime. Oh, and the frosting recipe is the original and made for 10 cupcakes. I added another 1/2 stick of butter (not listed below) to be sure to cover my 12 cupcakes. I threw away half the cake batter to only make 12, so sad. You could double the recipe below to frost 24 cupcakes from the box mix.

Cadbury Cupcakes
adapted from Erica's Sweet Tooth

For the cake:
1 box chocolate mix
1 cup milk
3 eggs
1/3 cup melted butter

For the frosting:
10 Cadbury Creme Eggs
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tbsp. vanilla
2 tbsp milk
yellow food coloring

To make the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a cupcake tin (I only made 12, so half the batter was wasted, but oh well).
2. Mix the box mix, milk, eggs and butter together for 2 minutes.
3. Fill cupcakes liners about 2/3 full and bake for 20-23 minutes.

To make the frosting:
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until fluffy and smooth.
2. Add in half of the powdered sugar slowly.
3. Add vanilla and mix until incorporated.
4. Add in the rest of the powdered sugar and beat until fully combined.
5. Add milk, 1 tbsp at a time until desired consistency.
6. Carefully cut the Cadbury eggs in half and scoop out the creme filling into the frosting mix. Save the shells for decorating! Beat on low speed until combined.
7. Add a few drops of yellow food coloring and fold in with a spatula for a streaky look. Mix with the mixer for a plain yellow frosting.
8.  Frost cupcakes and top with an egg shell.

Failed cupcakes.



You can sort of see the streaks in the frosting




No comments: