Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Nutella-Stuffed Pumpkin Brown Butter Chocolate Chunk Muffins

Longest recipe name ever? I think so.

So, remember yesterday when I asked everyone to wish me luck trying to cook with the two pups here and Dan at work? Good thing this recipe came together rather quickly, or else it never would have happened. I was able to distract Lana with 3 ice cubes for a good part of it, and Tess just lays in the kitchen while I bake anyways.

After baking was done all hell broke loose. The dogs were crazy outside, Lana learned to jump over our make-shift baby gate in the hall (make-shift meaning it's two laundry baskets blocking the hallways), and I am bleeding from several bite areas. She is now sound asleep at the other end of the couch. I always say I need to keep her awake as much as I can at night so she'll be tied throughout the night when she needs to be crated but right now I just need her to sleep....

These muffins are great. I read the recipe knowing that I should have most of the ingredients and it would be easy to whip up on a weeknight. I got all prepared for it today and then re-read the recipe. Oh no! Did I still have whole wheat flour left? Did I have plain Greek yogurt (which I never have)?

Yes, yes I did. I actually had almost a whole bag of whole wheat flour and 2 containers of nonfat Greek yogurt in the fridge. I knew it was meant to be. I had to make these. And so, I did. These are delicious. I like how the recipe used the whole wheat flour and Greek yogurt. It kept them moist and gave them a little less sweetness. I was a little worried with all the spices, chocolate chunks, and Nutella that they would be very sweet, almost cupcake like, but they weren't. They held up nicely as muffins.

I learned 2 new things today. The first was how to make brown butter, which is simple enough, but I think I should have left mine on the heat a little longer. I also learned that baking the muffins at a higher temperature just at the beginning will give them a rounder top. Mine weren't as round as the original poster's muffins, but the probably puffed up a little more than if they hadn't been baked at a higher temperature at first.






Although, right as I'm writing this I'm thinking they would make great cupcakes without the Nutella inside the cake, but the Nutella swirled into a nice buttercream....

Nutella-Stuffed Pumpkin Brown Butter Chocolate Chunk Muffins
from Veggie and the Beast

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs (room temp)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon allspice (I didn't have any so I just omitted this)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
2/3 cup chocolate chunks (or chips)
about 12 teaspoons hazelnut spread (Nutella)

1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Cut butter in chunks and melt in a small saucepan over medium low heat, whisking frequently. You will notice some foam on top around the edges, keep whisking. When you begin to see little brown specks appear at the bottom, remove from heat and whisk for another 30-45 seconds. Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer and let it cool a bit.
3. While the butter is cooling, mix the flours, baking soda, spices and salt together in a medium mixing bowl.
4. Add the pumpkin puree and sugars to the stand mixer bowl with the slightly cooled butter. Beat on medium-low until creamy and combined. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix to combine.
5. Slowly add the flour mix to the pumpkin mix. Fold in the yogurt and then fold in the chocolate chips.
6. Place liners in 12-14 muffin tin cups. (Mine made 12)
7. Scoop a heaping tablespoon of muffin mix into each liner.
8. Place a teaspoon of Nutella on top the muffin mix and cover with another tablespoon or so of muffin mix. The mix should be just about level with the liner.
8. Bake for 5 minutes at 425. Lower the temperature to 350 and bake for another 15 minutes.


No comments: