Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Spicy Sausage Skillet Pasta

Two posts in one day isn't something I'd normally do. I would usually schedule them to post the next day, but with everything going on (Hurricane Puppy), I'm afraid I'd forget I even posted it.

Tonight's dinner was super easy, I was even able to make it with two rambunctious dogs in the kitchen with me. As I was at the stove, Lana was climbing all over Tess's head biting her ears. I had to put the spoon down a few times and break it up. Poor Tess only gets a break from Hurricane Lana when she naps.

I doubled everything in this recipe other than the onions and ro-tel tomatoes. I figured some leftovers would be good. This recipe was spicier than I thought it would be. I mean, I know the name says spicy, but I figured with only one can of tomatoes and chiles, and double the pasta, broth and cream, that it wouldn't be as bad. Maybe I need a milder can of tomatoes next time? Anyways, although spicier than expected, it was still very good. The following recipe is the original recipe, not my doubled version.

Spicy Sausage Skillet Pasta
from Kevin and Amanda

1 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 cup diced onions
1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced (I used turkey kielbasa)
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz. Campanelle (or any pasta you want)
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 cups chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
salt and pepper
1 pkg. Monterrey Jack shredded cheese

1. Heat olive oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sausage and cook until slightly browned, about 4 minutes.
2. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
3. Add pasta, cream, broth and tomatoes. Reduce heat and cover to simmer for 15-20 minutes until pasta is tender.
4. Mix in half of the cheese. Top with other half of the cheese and broil for 2 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.



No comments: