Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Swiss, Ham, Corn and Leek Quiche

I suppose I should keep this cooking/baking surge going.

Dan is working tonight, so that gives me the opportunity to make something he won't eat. I'm not sure why, but lately I've been craving quiche...maybe it's from the mini ones I had at the bridal shower a few weeks ago. I needed some baking supplies, so I figured picking stuff up for dinner was a good choice. I love quiches and I'm not sure why I don't make them more often. I almost always have the supplies I need at home, give or take some heavy cream and whatever ingredients I want to add. This quiche is a crustless quiche. I usually prefer mine with a crust, but I figured I'd give this a try.

I adapted the original recipe slightly. Instead of onions, I chose leeks. What I love about leeks is you know they're pretty fresh because they're still covered with some dirt when you buy them. I can take them home and know they haven't had overkill with washing, which can cause vegetables to spoil quicker. Just a few cuts and a rinse under water and I have a nice clean leek! Anyways, I also added in some corn, since I had a cup of leftover frozen corn in the freezer. The cooking time was longer than the original recipe stated as well. It said 20-25 minutes, but after 25 minutes my middle was still very runny/jiggly. Mine cooked for 40 minutes before I felt it was thoroughly cooked. The other bonus to this recipe is that I now have breakfast and lunch for tomorrow!

Swiss, Ham, Corn and Leek Quiche
adapted from She Knows

some softened butter for butter the dish
3 tbsp. plain, dry bread crumbs
1 tbsp. butter
2 leeks, white parts clean and sliced
1.5 cups diced ham
1 cup frozen corn
1 (8 oz) pkg. shredded Swiss cheese
5 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp black pepper
**If you're worried about over-browning of the quiche, fit some foil over the pan to create a cover to use later if needed.

1. Preheat oven to 400. Butter a pie plate or quiche pan.
2. Spread the breadcrumbs in the buttered plate.
3. In a heavy-bottomed skillet, melt the tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Saute the leeks, ham and corn for 5-8 minutes, until leeks are softened. Spread over the breadcrumbs in the plate and cover with Swiss cheese.
4. Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream and pepper. Pour over the cheese.
5. Bake for 40 minutes (check around 25-30 minutes and play it by ear).  If you check it and it needs more time but is browning, cover with the pre-fitted foil cover.

This quiche is seriously delicious! I almost chose a different kind of cheese, but stuck with the Swiss and I'm glad I did. The corn added a really nice sweetness with the cheese and the saltiness of the ham. The only thing that would make this quiche better is a crust and zero calories!

Fresh out of the oven

After settling a little





No comments: