Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Cheesy Garlic Brown Sugar Pork Chops

What a start to the week it has been. The best news I have is that our home now has interior doors up! Before Monday, we only had an interior door to the bathroom and the basement. We now have the doors up for our bedroom, the guest rooms, and the doorknobs are finally on the basement door. I can finally say goodbye to the baby gate blocking the hallway from Lana's course of destruction in the bedrooms. The other new so far this week is dismal and annoying. Midterms start at the high school tomorrow, so my students have a lovely unfamiliar schedule causing all sorts of anxiety. Midterms also mean a new quarter starts next week, so grades and report cards are due. I had two two-hour meetings today (which went well), but that also throws a day into upheaval. I finished a re-evaluation report today as well, only to get to planning on the next one. Life certainly doesn't slow down this time of year for a teacher....or any time of year...

At least there is a three-day weekend coming up this weekend. A much needed day off is in store! The past couple weeks have reminded why I said I would never get a puppy again and only rescue an older dog. It seems like Lana has forgotten all of her training and commands. I believe she has hit puberty, so that brings on a slew of behaviors for her. The dogs have begun battling for each other's food, and Lana will even try to jump the fence....while attached to a leash in my hands. So, I say again like I said after raising Tess, no more puppies. I had finally gotten into a good groove where I was able to cook a meal uninterrupted by them, they would both lay around, Lana was finally laying in the kitchen with me while I was cooking, but that didn't last too long. Now I have to check back every three minutes because her newest behavior is peeing and pooping everywhere in the house. No more puppies...

I guess there a second good piece of news. Tonight's recipe came out fabulously! My lack of recent grocery shopping has left me eating pasta dishes lately, so tonight I was definitely ready for anything but. Funny thing is, what did I have as a side with this? A veggie mac and cheese steamer side. Well, at least the main portion wasn't pasta, right? Using a good amount of fresh garlic not only makes the dish taste wonderful, but my house smells heavenly right now. The garlic, brown sugar, butter and smoked paprika make an unbeatable flavor combination. As much as I'm a supporter of adding to cheese to just about anything, you don't even need it for these. Granted, it added even more flavor, but if you want to cut back on the calories and fat, feel free to leave the cheese out. You won't miss it if you've never tried it with the cheese. Go ahead and make these for your next dinner, you won't be sorry. I promise.

Cheesy Garlic Brown Sugar Pork Chops
from Beyer Beware

3 or 4 pork chops
1/3 cup brown sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 tbsp. butter, melted
salt & pepper
1 tsp. smoked paprika (regular is fine)
1/2 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Rub both sides of pork chops with brown sugar and garlic. Don't be shy, use it all up!
3. Pour butter over pork chops.
4. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Top with cheese and bake for another 5 minutes.



No comments: