Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Shrimp and Goat Cheese Quesadillas

It's a tropical 7 degrees out right now. I don't think I'm helping the depressing matter by looking at honeymoon locations. I'm ready for winter to be over already.

Today was my second day back to work after winter break and an extra two snow days. After two weeks of eating at my leisure, it's been hard to get back to the school schedule. I'm back to lunch before 11 (yes, the first lunch shift at the school is at 10:21). This leaves me starving by 5, especially the last two days, I haven't even had an appetite that early in the day. Yesterday I ate maybe a 1/4 cup of couscous and veggies, and today I ate about the same amount, but it was pomegranate seeds. By the time I got home tonight, I was pretty ravenous. It was definitely a good thing that I had something on the healthier side planned.

This recipe was quick, simple, and had so many great flavors. At the store today, as I was grabbing some goat cheese, I saw the honey goat cheese. Out of curiosity I grabbed it, hoping it would add another element of flavor to these quesadillas. It sure did, the goat cheese was my favorite part. I would repeat this same recipe, but change it slightly. The roasted red peppers were pretty water-packed, so when heated, they released the water in them, making these a little messy to eat. I think I would maybe do some roasted corn next time, though the red peppers did have a great flavor. I added in some of the sweet and smoky rub I tend to use in most of my Mexican-style recipes. The original recipe didn't have any seasoning on the shrimp or peppers, which seemed a little bland to me. You could add any seasonings you like. I also recommend (like I do every time I use tortillas) Mission Carb Balance tortillas. They are super soft and fresh, and have less carb than other flour tortillas. I did put my recipe into My Fitness Pal online, and each serving (makes 4) was 194 calories. Not bad considering my tacos and quesadillas are usually loaded with salty seasoning, loads of melted cheese and sour cream.

Shrimp and Goat Cheese Tacos
adapted from Savour the Senses

20 or so shrimp, peeled, deveined, cooked and chopped
1 roasted red pepper, chopped
1/2 jalapeno, minced
2 tsp of a seasoning of your choice
2 oz. Honey goat cheese (or any flavor or plain)
4 flour tortillas
olive oil for brushing
black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray lightly.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the shrimp, red pepper, jalapeno and seasoning.
3. Spread the goat cheese over the four tortillas. Spread the shrimp mix on half of each tortilla. Fold over and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with black pepper.
4. Bake for 8 minutes, or until golden brown and tortilla gets a little crispy.



No comments: