Monday, January 27, 2014

Pizza Bread

I can't wait until I'm 80 years old and grocery shopping so my sassy attitude is easily accepted. I love recipes and meal planning, but unless I'm shopping at Shaw's (which is far less crowded, closer to home, but much more expensive) I loathe grocery shopping. We have a new massive and great Market Basket in town, and the old Market Basket (one minute down the road) is still open until the lease runs out. I went to the new one today with my students to do a grocery store scavenger hunt. This was at 10:00 this morning and it was mobbed. Then, after work, I did my own grocery shopping at the old one, which was also pretty busy. People just love to leave their carriages in the middle of the aisles, or not notice that their carriage is blocking the exact item you need. Then there's the whole leaving your carriage in a parking space issue, which I won't even get started on. If I did, this blog would turn into a violent rant, which may cause people to be afraid of me and stop reading.

Point is, you had the energy to walk through the store and shop, so you have the energy to put your cart in the corral.

Ok, so I said I wouldn't go there, but I have to share a story about carriages in the parking lot. Last week, at Shaw's, I ran into the store for a few items. It was one of those super freezing cold days, so luckily I only had 2 bags worth of food and didn't need a carriage. When I left, there was a woman trying to leave her carriage next to my driver's side door so I couldn't get into my car. Here's the dialogue that followed:

Me: "Ma'am, you need to move your cart, you're blocking my door".
Ma'am: "Oh, I'm sorry."
She grabs her cart and goes to put it on the other side of her car.
Ma'am: It's just too cold today to put it over there."
Me: "Yeah, it's cold. But I just think about the poor high school kids making minimum wage who have to be out in the cold even longer because they have to gather the carts from all over the parking lot because people don't put them over there."
She stares at me as I get in my car.

Ugh, people suck.


So, back on track. Thankfully, my longer shopping trip today fell on a good day. I didn't have to rush home after work to let the pups out because our baby Lana went under the knife today. She's all spayed and spending the night at the vet. As nice as it was to come home to a quiet house and cook without wondering what she's destroying in the living room, I miss her excited wiggle as she runs at me when I get home so she can hug me. Yeah, we hug when I get home...

A quick dinner was what I needed. Which, I know, doesn't make sense to choose a super easy dinner on a night where I would have the peace and quiet to make something a bit more grand, but I'm tired and I have a meeting first thing in the morning. After that I get to go pick up the little lady and hang out with her while she recovers all day. This dinner was quick and easy, but not exactly what I was hoping it would be. The bread gets a little soggy, and you should definitely spray your baking sheet, so this doesn't happen:


Pizza Bread
adapted from Pinch of Yum

1 lb. ground beef
handful of pepperonis chopped
peppers and onions, chopped and steamed in the microwave
1 jar pizza sauce
shredded cheese of your choice
6 sub rolls

1. Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
2. Brown the beef in a skillet. Add the pepperoni, veggies and sauce and mix.
3. Hollow out the sub rolls and sprinkle some cheese on the bottom of each. Fill with meat mixture and top with another sprinkling of cheese.
4. Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and sub rolls are slightly browned.


No comments: